Tuesday 10 March 2015

Waiter , there ' s a frog in my tomyam soup


No doubt , Thailand is amazing . But I still can't get over the frog meat in their menu.
Sold side by side other meats and seafoods even vegies , well , one experience is enough to make me double check next time I order their streetfood.


High chance the mixed Tomyam you just enjoyed contains frog meat . And the Thais don't just eat the legs but everything , the whole thing. 


This is what I mean by everything.
Deep fried baby frogs.
Have tried crickets and grasshoppers but omg omg ....with this I draw the line.
No.

source : pinterest 


How do you prevent this from happening to you ? Check the food counter top and inspect it carefully. The Chinese will place frogs away from other foods on the floor if possible but the Thais will put them up on the table.
Second clue. If a stall sells Papaya Somtam and there is a fry and grill stall beside it. Very high chance it will be there as these are Isaan cuisine favourites.
This picture from flickr is your best guide as to what I am talking about.
See the pile of somtam and the uncooked meats next to it ? Yeah , look closely and if you don't like frog in your tomyam , skip it. 

source : flickr



Location : Bangkok 


No comments: