Friday 3 April 2015

Ikan Bakar with salted duck egg gravy - a revelation


It's run down places like these that hold surprising gems . Though I have been patronising this food court , on and off each time we are in town , for the Nyonya chapfun and Bubur Chacha, a quick check in , via Foursquare made me decide to try out the much recommended Ikan Bakar stall .
Selected mixed seafood ( squid rings , clams , skatefish ) and waited for quite a long time before this graced our table. 





Assembled in foil and grilled on the spot , upon savouring the hot gravy , I found that it tastes a lot like the famous stall in Petaling Street. With one exception ....it contains salted duck eggs lending it a grainy , and most unforgettable texture.  The more you eat , the hotter it gets and you will come to a point where you finally end your tongue numbing dalliance  ,by putting down your fork in surrender. The plate of white rice is for the purpose of cushioning off the insidious heat.  




Each plate of rice comes with a halved salted duck egg , on the side . Don't you ever reject it. Take the yolk and leave the salty white alone. The grainy yolk is the single most creamiest , most tantalisingly seductive salted duck egg I have ever had in my life. A must eat. This is coming from me , who consumes a maximum of 4 salted duck eggs in a whole year. 
I will not eat this elsewhere but if I lived here , I would up my intake to once every week. 




Fragrantly aromatic sweet potatoes from the hot bowl of Bubur Chacha befittingly cool down , the fiery meal meal we just had .
It may be missing a lot of colour , but it still makes the cut , even though appearance wise , it looks so unappetising nowadays.




Location : Newton Foodcourt , Malacca 

3 comments:

Tokyo in Pics said...

You've shown us another beauty Goh! I really hope I can get over there next year. I'll be running around with my iPhone checking out your blog again to find these joints lol.

gostansikit said...

Everybody plans well ahead nowadays. I betcha when you do arrive , you'll tuck right in !

Tokyo in Pics said...

When I get there I think this dish will be first on my list of things to eat. It looks awesome!