Thursday 11 June 2015

1st time inside a synagogue



No, this is not the Sultan Abdul Samad building although it does look like it at a glance , but The Great Synagogue in Budapest. 







On my second visit to B.A. I stayed for a week in an apartment in the Jewish quarter but then , no foreigners were allowed into their synagogue . Hence ,when I found out that I could do so here , I jumped at the chance.
The Jews here practise what is known as Neolog Judaism , a more modern and progressive form of Judaism.
Ah , thank goodness for the moderates in all the world's people. Still , prayer services remain off limits to visitors. :(  I think. Even though a sign above the entrance states that it is a prayer hall for all.  





As you thread the paved walkway try to spot a Menorah candle design on the ground near the entrance . Easy to miss. Hint : It's yellow in colour.

Completed around 1859 , it is the second largest synagogue in the world !




Get me my tickets at the booth from the very bored looking girl.
Cash only ok. No credit or debit cards accepted.




Some tourists complain that the entrance charge is excessive. I didn't fly 14 over hours just to stare at it from the outside . I'm paying 3000 ft plus 700 ft extra for a community guide.
That amount can buy you 3 to 4 keychains at The Great Market Hall. I'm prepared to pay and no , I don't think it is expensive. Of course for a local it costs a lot. You can buy a LOT of groceries with 1500 ft. But I'm a tourist and I really want to go in . 




( Still half disbelieving that I am finally going to be inside a synagogue at this point )
Customary security checks up front and before you know it , I actually have to rush straight in because I'm late !

Men can borrow a kippa to cover their head , while some women use shawls to cover their exposed shoulders / hair lightly. But I don't think they're used to seeing someone like me hanging around a synagogue and I think they were frankly a bit too shocked to tell me because they were still trying to deal with it ... No one did , I only realised it much later when the guide told the lady she could remove her shawl . Thus , although there aren't any signs , do the above out of respect for a place of worship. 




We are free to join any group . Someone at the door will show you which are the English speaking tours. If they don't....open your mouth and ask politely. The people in this city are not stuck up. They're nice people. Approach them. They hardly refuse to help unless they really don't know how.

Decided to sit here. But alas it was a bit too far as the guide spoke quite softly . Try to squeeze in no further than 2 pews away and you should hear fine. As you can see , I'm on the 4th pew. 




Really have to concentrate. But I'm distracted . Just wanna take in everything around me.
Seats...stained glass windows...just like a church on the inside. These features are not typical. Synagogues are mostly kept simple while The Great Synagogue is extremely ornate and fabulous. 
There is a smaller synagogue within the compound and that's typical compared to this. 




8 pointed stars are featured everywhere. 
Like these mosaics for example. 
However, there are no figure or human  motifs ...just like in a mosque. 




Winding stairs . Wonder who goes into the boxseat.
During service , men and women seat separately. The men downstairs , while the women above. 




Very ornate roof that looks like a carpet design.
And those round lamps they call chandeliers .




The altar is called The Ark. It faces Jerusalem.

Most unique feature here is the 5000 pipe organ behind it. 

There is a book called the Book of Tears at The Ark's reading table. The book contains names of the 3000 plus tortured to death at Auschwitz and other concentration camps. 




Actually gushed about my visit to Silad later in the day but he brushed it off with a mere
" They're Arabs " 
Hmmm...

Anyway , this is looking out from The Ark.




And right on top of The Ark itself is a mini ornate basillica 




Beautiful !
A lot of the refurbishments and restorations in the late 90s were made possible with handsome donations from Tony Curtis and Estee Lauder .




Managed to snap these pics as the guide gave us a little time but it's time to move on to other important areas of the complex . 




Location : Budapest


No comments: