Thursday 4 June 2015

Cafe Csiga - Vásár Utca 2



Found the next door place via Foursquare , my original intended breakfast destination.
Standing by this corner , I accessed the Budapest Tripadvisor city guide which I had predownloaded prior to this trip and found that the reviews for Cafe Csiga were much better.
I walked straight in.





Asked the busy lady behind the counter,  for a recommendation
" Spanish breakfast " it is then
4 eggs sitting on what seems to be pan fried bacon , paprika , onions , potatoes and olives.
1050 ft. 
Hearty , filling , yummy ....nice !





Reggeli kave plus soda water.
200 ft.
Light , creamy way to greet the morning with. 
This is good company. 




Note that the area is more of a neighbourhood.
Locals will tell you that it used to be a red light district but I guess people like the good owners at Csiga are slowly elevating it into one hip joint.
Whip out your camera phone and point. 
It's a good man disperser during the day.




So I sit here for a bit , observing .
Reminds me of artsy , eclectic , quirky yet cozy Buenos Aires. Fits right in.




 Find that lots of ladies on the go either stop for a quick cuppa or do a coffee take away. 
When the men walk in, it's mostly to eat. 




4 days later , I told the busy busy rose among the thorns.
" I need to eat "
And she asked me
" How hungry are you ? "
I shook my hand and head a little and she read into that. 
Ten percent is going into the tip box again.
She's wonderful.
This meal is wonderful.
If this is Hungarian cooking , mmmm mmmm smashing !
2050 ft




Tried the ole camera trick again to deter unwanted attention. Didn't work. Instant I put it down , there it came from 3 directions. Even from the ladies in the landing above. That makes it 4 directions. 
Sit facing out to avoid this situation. You will get verrryyyy curious stares from men seated on tables beside you, that are enough to burn a hole in the dark side of your brain. Either you ignore it ( at this time of the day it is going to be extremely difficult ) or you flash them a smile. I don't need to tell you what to do. 
Your choice girls. Your choice. 
Me , I lovingly devoured my plate .




Whatever it is , the chefs deserve compliments .
Absolutely ! And because of this place , I might want to experiment and cook my eggs this way instead of the baked lesson I got in Barcelona before.
That required 10 eggs. This much less but incredibly prettier and extremely appetizing . 
Arugula leaves ....well , who would have guessed.





Fact that I can still remember the exact taste of both dishes I hope tells you plenty. 
Pure food orgasm on a plate !
Tangy sweet sauce with the softest of potato wedges with that scrumptious skin on. Combined with a lightly marinated breast stuffed with basil and sun dried tomatoes...once it logs into your brain ...it sits there for life and you end up craving for it halfway around the world ! 




Know any place that writes a menu as cute as this ?
Do take time out to read the personal touches at the bottom. You'll go " awwwww"....sweet. 




Directions : 
Come out from this exit at Rakoczi Ter metro station
and head towards the Rakoczi Market behind . Blue gates can't miss it.
Turn left. The cafe is on a corner by the side of the market.





Location : Budapest

No comments: