Wednesday 10 June 2015

House of Terror


The House of Terror was a former Nazi headquarter. The basement used to be interrogation and torture cells. 
But if you think that the focus will be on Nazis and Jews only, no, it is on Hungarians and the devastating effects two world wars and different ideologies have rained upon the indomitable Magyar spirit. 

A visit here is a must do as it will prove to be such an eye opener because of the way the exhibits simplify the very complicated annals of Hungarian history .





This is both the entrance and exit. 
The plague serves as a memorial.
See the 2 wreaths placed beneath it.



  
Well, here's the ticket counter....




...costs 2000 ft per adult .
If you do not get an audio guide ( 1500 ft ) , there are printed reading materials ( in English ) slotted against the wall in each room so you can gain an understanding even if you do not speak Hungarian.





Join the short queue to get in.
Lu tengok....tiap kali ada mat salleh dia punya awek mesti bengang bila dia curi-curi pandang kat gua.

  


The person stationed here will tell you to start from the top floor and make your way to the basement.




Face to face with a tank. Yes, this close. 




You will feel very uncomfortable as the lift comes down. 






I mean, you're riding a lift covered with faces of victims of both the Red Terror and White Terror. Freaky and eerie ok ? 





Once you alight, and you see the wall of victims ...






...inevitably, the experience might cause some to break down. 






Can't show you many pics as I only managed to snap a few before a lady guard stopped me. Only then did I know that photography was not allowed. 

I wish I could describe the feeling of seeing the black Nazi car behind the curtain . Yes other than the tank , there is a car , communication stations and even an all important desk. 

These were the ones I took before she entered the picture.

A telephone 





War stills . 
Set aside some time to watch each different one. 
There was even one on how the Hungarians joyously welcomed the Russians for liberating them from the Germans . Later rooms will show survivor accounts with subtitles in English.





A photograph of the destroyed Chain Bridge .
Devastating photos. A city destroyed and reduced to rubbles.





By the time I got to the uniforms , I couldn't hold it anymore. If you take a dslr in , you will probably be caught, but a mobile makes a sneak shot much easier to do the job. 









You can actually purchase war helmets in Buenos Aires , which I never got round to doing since I am never going to want to wake up to an entity in my house ,but to see a full uniform, gosh...this is a first time  for me. 

Anyway, I think the museum guards probably knew what I was up to. Just that they were too polite to confront me or whether they were waiting to catch me in the act I do not know, I decided not to risk it anymore.
This paper covered room was my last snap. I swear it !




By the time you hop onto the second slowwww lift to go down to the basement , the shadows and musical score builds up and by the time you see the cells your stomach will have a big knot.
Don't know if others feel the same way but the basement is super scarrryyy !!!

Here's the opening hours as well as charges .
Groups of 20 get in for only 800 ft each ! 






Location : Budapest 

No comments: