Monday 1 June 2015

The Budapest 7 day travelcard


Currently, the 7 day travel card costs 4950 forints.
And that entitles you to unlimited travel on buses , streetcars, trams, the underground, trolleys , cogwheel even local trains within Budapest ! If I am not mistaken you may also hop onto certain public boats by the Danube too but since I didn't try that out, can't confirm it. 

Should you take the monthly pass, that would require a passport sized photo ID which you can easily snap at a mobile photo booth for around 1000 forints. 

Here's a complete list of prices. The Hungarians thought of everything. There are even dog and bicycle passes. 


The city is huge . I could have rushed it from the get go but I chose not to because no way, I hate that.... that's not the way I wanna travel. As a result, I did not get to ride the cogwheel . No matter, I was having too much fun exploring the city itself and this way, the memories do stick !

However, the week long pass did accord me rides on one of the world's oldest electrified subway line in the world ....
see the leather holders.





....as well as access to the vast metro...



....modern trams...



....these vehicles called trolleys.
I call them cute.



Streetcars



Mini buses.
Some drivers of older buses with no automatic cut off monitoring systems in the outskirts are said to drive faster than the Turks. No chance to test out the myth yet. 




Big buses



Here's a picture of the subway network. Gives you an indication of all the stops you can get down and explore if you so wish. 
You simply get off and hop onto other available vehicles and believe me, they are efficient as well as plenty.




See the castle like building up there ? 
Looks a bit like Disneyland doesn't it ?
Well, for the next week, I rode the transportation network as if the city were one big Disneyland pass.
You could of course rush and squeeze in to see everything in a day, but it takes around one week to fall in love with this city and leave panting for more when you realise you've only managed to see just a fraction on a leisurely pace.





Location : Budapest 

No comments: