Monday 1 June 2015

Steeple chasing escalators on the Budapest metro


For the first time visitor , hopping onto the escalators that take you to the bowels of earth is like taking an adrenaline thumping ride on some scream machine. 
Holy sheeet....I haven't been to the one in D.C. but this brutal one at Szell Karman Ter is enough to make me feel faint .
See how small the people are at the end of the line !
Don't know whether this is higher than the one at Rakoczi Ter because that one was so jaw dropping , my stomach churned till I didn't even dare hold my cam up !





Actually my first introduction to these crazy one-slip-and-you-might-be-freefalling escalators was the one at Deak Ferenc Ter.... all of 37.85m below ground level ! 
I hesitated. At that moment I wished my soles came equipped with strong magnets. 




One station after the next seemed to want to outdo each other.
Four laned one at Fovam Ter near the Central Market  !




Well I hope you get the picture. Those with fear of heights might wanna consider using the bicycle share system or wear diapers as you hang on tight !
Ya....see how steep it is. Going down with a person in front of you is less dizzying. 




The Hungarians are used to this.
For me , it took some time to adjust but the sheer height never fails to start butterflies flapping havoc in my stomach






Old folks here have no problem. 
Even couples can snatch a moment to share a passionate kiss.
Meanwhile, each time I step on I just hope I survive long enough and not embarass my country by slipping





When there are less people, the speed slows down ....hence I hope this explains why some grafffiti artists have time to do this !




Because of the breakneck speed , if you are a regular butterfinger or prone to falls you do have the other options to consider.
Chances of twisting an ankle or breaking a bone would be higher for sedentary travellers who are not so nimble and sure footed. You do not want an accident like this to mar your holiday. Not worth it. 

Ok, so you're unfazed. 
Guess you must try the escalators at Moszkva Ter going to a depth of oh...a mere 38.40 m only ! 


No comments: