Friday 19 June 2015

The Slovak and his Turkish coffee


Here I was in Eastern Europe.
Where I least expected to see a young man fuss over the gas stove just to make a good cuppa of Turecká Káva or Turkish coffee.
Yeah that long handled copper pot they call džezva or cezve . He brought this precious cargo with him all the way to Budapest. 
Hope it is very obvious to you up to this point , that I did not read up on Balkan history. 





So he asked me if I'd been to Bratislava and I froze because before this trip I was laughing over that crazy old Eurotrip clip starring this bunch of people below ,  whom I used to be like once upon a time in my life many centuries ago.




This Slovak , this guy from Bratislava , the first Slovakian I ever met in my life .....he was nothing like the men in the movie. Or those 3 dudes above. He looks intelligent and dresses up very yummily . And he was boiling coffee as if one miscue would blow up the whole laboratory. 
I am so brainwashed by Hollywood.

When I stopped daydreaming , I said no. And we got talking a bit.....
Until the liquid began to froth . One could see that that pot is something they take so seriously. Tapping , knocking , checking ....their coffee is their life . 

I kept my 3 in 1 sachet back in my pocket before he could ever find out about my great sacrilege to the meticulous art of a cup of morning coffee.



No comments: