Monday 22 June 2015

Vajdahunyad Castle - the Scribe with the Golden Pen


The Vajdahunyad Castle is said to be an exact replica of Corvin Castle aka Hunyad Castle in Hunedoara, Translyvannia , where Vlad the Impaler was said to have been imprisoned . The original badazz Vlad ok, not Luke Evans .

The person who designed it, also cleverly incorporated  different buildings from four magnificent eras into one  . Because it is essentially rojak , some of you might start insisting that this looks Germanic, French, Gothic, Dracula-ic , Harry Potter and very Twilight-ish ....you know what ? everybody is right because it is a bit of everything put together. 
  
  


    
Coming in from Heroes Square, you will have to cross this bridge. Another 3 bridges can be found in this area because it is actually an island called  Széchenyi island . 
Keep right, you can't possibly miss the castle .

     


  
However, beware of some creeps here like this old guy who walks with a limp. I do not know what his intentions were but he startled me by coming in from the back A SECOND TIME as I was still taking a slow stroll on this short bridge . I don't know how fast he walked to be able to do that ( with a limp ? ) but he kept me in sight and tried to say something to me ( that's the 3rd time he's passed me ! ) as I was leaving but I just ignored him and nothing happened .  
      

  

When you spot this signboard, snap it so you'll know your bearings in case you wanna throw in a visit to the zoo, the spa , circus , etc ....etc





Beds of pansies brighten up the dusty road 





While the occasional small flower patches dot the park surrounds 





It's a weekday. The area is almost deserted and frankly, that pesky old man is freaking me out a bit. 





But I am not gonna let him stop me from going in. He will go under the jaws of this medieval gate , if he does. And I will probably  end up in a Hungarian cell until osteoporosis sets in..something I probably can put up with since the men in uniform here are so lengchai...um, lemme think about it. If  I do something rash, hmmm, it will be on a crazy impulse. But I still have people waiting for me back home. Retract your claws now babeh. 




  
The tower here is just one of the 21 building combo designed by Ignác Alpár to showcase the best known architectural  gems from the Hungarian Kingdom . Yes , Translyvannia is now in Romania but once upon a time, before the world wars, that area was part of Hungary. Something like Penang being taken from Kedah lah you know ? 






Not only humans can come wander around, mutts too !
I think these 2 are so cute. I do like animals, but I am not fond of animal activists because I think that they have many nuts loose in their head.  





Ah yes, I am walking in a turn of the century mish mash copycat castle in East Europe thinking of how to kautim a  paika pest  from Budapest . 
In any case, whenever you feel like you are in danger , stay near people or other tourists while you keep your eye on them to let them know that you know , they are watching you . And never ever underestimate old ladies, they can be fiercer and scarier than you and I. I  had one heroically  whisk me away from a bunch of Algerian loonies in Amsterdam . 





 Gothic touches at this corner .... 



 



There 's actually a gift shop  here where the signboard is . Split level , quite a lot of things for a quick pick up. Just didn't feel like buying anything yet. 


 


Other than the wildly popular and super creepy Statue of the Anonymous which we will soon get to, this gentleman sitting quietly under this tree is quite the  lady magnet . 
There is a bust of the original Dracula actor but I am not interested in that. 

 Meet Grof Károlyi Sándor , politician and founder of the hospital at the Hungarian Academy of Sciences .
Sculpted by Alajos Stróbl he is seated next to a pile of books with his hat nearby. 





Across from where he is seated , is the Roman Catholic , Romanesque period, Jak Chapel, another replica of a church  near the Austrian border.  Not abandoned, still active .






 12 apostles stand guard above the arch with Jesus in the middle. 2 are on the outside of the arch. 
Try and spot Mary on one side and Samson with a Lion on the other .
The original church hails from the 11th century which makes this the oldest replica to be found at Vajdahunyad. Apparently , if you want to exchange vows here , for better or for worse,  you still  need to book 6 months ahead ! 






Moving inwards but not too far in, I am looking for the King's Scribe with the Golden Pen . 
You can go in the museum if you want but it's not free. And there's a tower with a view too, just so you selfie loving peeps have yet another spectacular less visited  option to post up. 





 Creepy is an under - under  - understatement . If he gets up and walks , I swear my skin will leave my body as  my brain self  destructs. Still, we like to tempt fate not only get nearer , we also must go and feel his tool a bit .

Sculpted by Miklós Ligeti nobody knows exactly who this first Hungarian chronicler is except that he penned the Gesta Hungarorum for 
King Bela III . And because he has a golden quill which strangely can pass off as a Waterman or Parker , everybody wants to touch it. 





But because at that moment , I was scared stiff, I did not do it. Put it off for another day which on second thought, maybe  I really  shouldn't have . 

Later.... 


Location : Budapest 

No comments: