Saturday 5 December 2015

Lol



Picked this up today from yet another silversmith , for an unbelievable token sum .
It's Doraemon , for those who don't know .






This crab too.

As usual , I started to yak with the proprietor . Found out he learnt the trade from his Dad who had a shop 2 roads down the old main street.






Then I ask him if he can do anything about the beautiful strand of pearls I was wearing . Wanted to restring and add a clasp to it. 


He says " Let me see "
I  put out my hand . 
His eyes open wide 
" Wei ....these are real pearls you know ? "
I nod my head
" Ya , but there are flaws on them , thus I got them real cheap from a vendor who has since closed shop "
" How much did you buy them for ? "
I told him.

" But these are REAL pearls you know ? "

I nodded again. 

He took a deep breathe and with an outraged tone in his voice , he informed me the following nugget 
" Do you know each pearl in my shop costs MYR 25 ? "
I shrug .

Anyway , since he did not have the know how on how to tackle my request and was still pissed over how come he , a person in the trade, could not get his goods lower than what I had , it ended with me tucking a clutch of those 2 above and another 2 more items in the bag before I went off. 

Sat down in a corner and counted how many pearls were on my bracelet.

24

24 × 25 = 600 ?
That means my pearls would be priced at MYR 600 in his shop ? No wonder they look as beautiful and lustrous today, as when I first laid eyes on them . 
Do I have an eye for expensive goods sold at ridiculous prices or what ? MYR 600 may not be considered expensive in this country but hey , try buying it in another part of the world . 
LOL !

Tips
WHERE TO FIND THEM
Search for these silversmiths in the oldest business districts in Malaysia. Keep a look out for Chinese shophouses.  There will be no shop sign most times . Furniture and display cases will look as if they have not been changed since the 70s or 60s . Some of the shops do repairs and wash gold jewellery for very little money . 

WORKMANSHIP 
There is a vast difference in workmanship . Miniature handmade ones that can now fetch MYR 8000 per set can never compare to miniatures cast from mould . Use a phone camera to see the difference . 

REAL OR FAKE ?
 The silver sold here , is classified as 925 , a lower grade than sterling silver ( it seems it is the same ,so I do not know why the silversmiths here say they are not the same , maybe they know something we don't ) . Worried about getting conned into purchasing silver plated jewellery instead ? Use a magnet. Won't stick if it is silver. And if it turns yellowish , that's a very good sign.

UPKEEP
Because they're still so cheap , I think they make great gifts and are definitely worth stocking up on a whim ,especially if you have a very cooperative silversmith nearby, who is willing to wash your tarnished silver trinkets in exchange for a nominal sum . If not you can always wash it with baking soda and hot water right ?



No comments: