Monday 15 February 2016

Excuse me but there is something in the luggage



There was  a huge luggage bag made of cloth deposited next to me . It was just a bit worn but since there were no other seats available , and it looked clean, it did cross my mind that I could make use of its sturdiness to support my tired head . Soon I begun to drift off to lala land .

Then I heard the odd sound . Was I dreaming ? Made me annoyed enough to open my eyes and frown . 


Very slowly , I turned to my left , to look in the direction of the said bag .
What I saw next , almost made me jump out of my skin . Like from some horror movie still , I could make out a  horrifying form ....THERE WAS SOMETHING INSIDE , TRYING TO SLOWLY CLAW ITS WAY OUT OF THE BAG !!!!

I let out a small scream and immediately stood up .
Yeah I may be a big girl but at that moment , it looked creepy as a poltergeist trying to burst out from under wallpaper !

" Someone get the guards ! "

There was no way in hell I was going to continue sitting next to whatever that living breathing thing that was contained in there . Was it suffocating ? Dying ? Geezzz....

3 men in charge hurried over , one of which was a police officer . Guess they knew what to do because they've probably seen more cases like this daily than I ever will in a lifetime .

Once they lay the bag flat down , a pungent pong was emitted and that's when they dragged it to a safe area and called Customs and Quarantine over .

Meanwhile I was imagining that before the authorities arrived , a whole menagerie would burst open from luggage bags and the entire place would be crawling with snakes , pangolins , wild cats , endangered fowls . By which time , you would see a live streaming of travellers either hanging from ceiling rafters or running helter skelter away from those obviously smuggled animals .

Turns out that the thing contained in the bag was a Kura - Kura Bukit ....a Hill Turtle .  All of 15 kilos . 

Who did I suspect ? 
Could have been anyone until I read the news today and it mentioned that someone was caught in a Bangladesh airport with ....you guessed it . Malaysian turtles ! There were no Banglas in sight . The only Indian looking guy was a young turbaned bearded Sikh who came from England but travelled between Malaysia and Thailand , very often. Don't tell me it was him ?

What on earth do they do with them ? Put them in a zoo ? Sacrifice them ? Pet them ? Eat them ? 

Quick check on google revealed that the season for turtle smuggling to and from Bangladesh , via Malaysia , Thailand , Indonesia and Singapore is from November to March ! And if there is one bag there will probably be more ! 

Whatever it is , from that day onwards ( 2016 lol ) , I will never ever put / lean / rest any part of my body on another travellers bag again . Who knows an awakened cobra might cause one to die on the spot without anyone knowing right ?

Snakes on a Plane is a real threat today alright . Ya , ya , don't exaggerate ....it was a turtle after all . 
But who knows right ?





No comments: