Sunday 6 March 2016

Latecomer to Daiso diningware


Eating out is becoming so much more expensive nowadays and with so many resources available over the internet ,anyone can at least try to cook for ( read.... ceret beret-ise ) our loved ones . So why not spend a little more on nice diningware to bring that dining experience back home right ?

Whether we are a failed , hopeless cook or a veeery good cook , the most important thing to our kids is that Mum , that gypsy dancing wannabe , takes the effort to go whip out something that almost breaks her back ( oh , I hear a hurrah from one son )





While I'm new to the world of diningware ( will probably cover cookwares in another post ) , when I walk into Daiso and glance at that section , I realise that a good majority of the stocks seem to have an army of fans who snap up stuff like this 2012 cat plate and bowl set , for instance , until you don't even know it exists ! So thank god for the internet !

There is a corresponding pig and dog plate but I did not like the colour on the pig ( too light ) and could not find the dog ( too bad ) thus I snapped this up just meow , I mean now .

Some pet owners use this for their pets ....good god ! 
 I do so hope when I use this to serve some snacks , my kids won't mutter 
" Oh she's serving kibbles now "

Anyway , it's cute and that's all that matters . If I serve Udon or Beehoon or Maggi , I will halve the portions lol just kidding .

Plate is 14 cm . Bowl 13 cm .




Update ( August 2016 )
Added one more bowl to the above collection .
Scroll to the bottom for more .




Moving on .
I've also suddenly been smitten with autumn leaf designs and was thrilled beyond words to find this incredibly sweet combo from 2 different stores .




Made in Japan , just like the cat plate and bowl set above , with the exception of the tray and flat chopstick engraved with cherry blossoms .
Plate is 12 cm . Bowl 12 cm also .




Think you can see that I really like this set a heck of a lot ! 
If you walk into other stores , a combination like this can go for as much as MYR 38 but hey , everything costs MYR 5.30 at Daiso .




Last but not least , is this white patterned
matching cup and saucer set .
I could mix and match it with a Royal Porcelain Thailand dinner plate set which I save for nice occasions . 

Price is rather subjective as this teacup set is not made in Japan but made in China . That means it is not exclusive to Daiso or Japanese stores only , a lot of other places have it in stock too . You know the drill , you'll just have to hunt it down too . 




Check back here regularly for more diningware which I might acquire in the near future  .
Won't be regular as this is just a phase of mine , but if I do buy , I will post it up here .

Meanwhile happy hunting . 

Update #1

Seriously...don't know what came over me but so much for holding back !

Another matching set . 
Plate 16cm . Bowl 11 cm .
Sakura flowers .
Made in Japan .




Think this is supposed to be sakura too but they look more like cosmos to me .
Also made in Japan .
Not a matching set but close enough of a match for me .
The 17cm plate is by Mino whereas the 10cm bowl is signed in blue at the bottom by the artist .




21 cm deep pasta plate .
Made in China .




More Sakura flowers ( this is actually an old purchase . China made . 17cm . But if you are near Singapore or Bangkok , it is still available . Malaysia has that dull green spotted design currently )




Larger than the above is this .
Found in Penang . Made in China .
Also available in Bangkok and Singapore .
These 2 claypots should be categorised as cookware but the instruction card says it is brittle , thus slow fire is the order of the day if you insist on using it for that purpose . It's pretty but I think if you really need to fire up the claypot , one this size should go for around MYR 6 or 7 at local stores . Those are much more durable although they might look like rough round bricks .
19 cm .



Last pic for update #1
This bear and panda dish .
( Actually it's not found in the diningware section , but something this cute , you've just got to serve peanuts or muruku with it right ?
Made in China .
Do not use for hot food .





Update # 2

Found this wider 13.5 cm Mino bowl to go with the Mino plate above 




Blue chrysanthemum pattern flat 16cm plate and 17cm wide bowl . Very nyonya like . Also made in Japan.
Was told that this was very limited in the past but now they've brought in a lot .



Cold soba and udon dish .
Old product which I have not seen for a long time , now back again .
Made in Japan .





Teacup to go with the bowl and small plate 
set from above .
Made in Japan .




Found yet another piece that matches the teacup , bowl and small plate above .
11 cm wide , 6 cm deep . Gosh , even with all the flaws I like this pattern too .
Made in Japan .




Stoneware cup with owl painting.
Comes in 2 floral colours . I chose the pink flowers .
Made in China .





Update # 3

Stoneware 14cm bowl with crab pattern .
Seen in Bangkok but hesitated . Been sitting on the shelf in Penang for a while until I decided to put it in the basket .

When I compare what is sold in Daiso with what is sold in Japan , I think the prices are so low because they're probably flawed rejects due to imperfect firing , resulting in bone china that comes out with very noticeable specks , pimples on the surface , as well as colour which may be a tad too faded .

Hopefully this will be the last piece of crockery I get from Daiso . 

You never know eh ?




Update # 4

Yea yea I know what I said in update # 3
How to resist when this vintage pink stoneware mug goes so well with the Maison Clements ? 




..or the fact that I'd feasted on this exact 21 cm deep plate in a Japanese - Italian restaurant years ago when my eldest son was still in the stroller ? 





Hopefully hope to stop right here .

Update # 5

Fat hopes. Next .
More sakura . New range . 
Made in Japan . Yup ...too pretty to resist



Seeing how I have all those diningwares already . Of course , I will need chopstick holders.

 Aargghh...! The white lucky cats have made their first appearance in Malaysia !!!
Made in China . You MUST hunt it down !!!



Beautiful half and half leaf design .
Made in Japan .




Getting very fond of crab designs .
This was a brighter shade than others .



Inevitably , chopsticks are next on the list.
From the Urara range . Black plastic chopsticks with tiny white sakura floral pattern . Case is a gorgeous bright red with similar sakura prints and a cute white bunny .
Made in China but so bright and stylo . Scratches very easily so great care has to be taken when handling it .



Update #6

Another pair of chopsticks with pretty and shiny gold sakura pattern .
Made in China .



Chawan mushi stoneware steamer with lid .
Made in China .
Oh yeah , I know some of you look stunned when you think you have just spotted me . Say hi next time will ya ? Won't feel so awkward . I am quite chatty you know ?




16 cm plate to go with the first sakura rice bowl featured in update # 1. Can't believe I found this ! See ? This is why you should keep looking .





12 cm blue chrysanthemum plate to go with the two ,on top . Yay !
Bamboo ribbed chopstick also from Daiso .



Update # 7

Made in China 17cm dish and 16 cm floral design plate .
Pretty eh ?



Made in Japan .
Bunny dish .
12cm .
This one's been around for some time . Found it in KL .




Maple leaf series .
Found a larger 14cm dish and 16cm plate set.
Made in Japan.





Blue chrysanthemum series .
Finally got the 11cm rice bowl .
Made in Japan.




Update #8

Pig bowls in 2 colours !
Made in Japan. 



Delicate mug with sakura blossom
Made in China.




Added on a teacup to the midnight jasmine series




Added a smaller plate ( middle ) to the cosmos series




Pieced together 2 plates with this sakura bowl 




Update # 9

Isn't this animal mug the cutest ?






Cafe quality espresso cup and saucer set .
Saucer has enough space for a cookie or small chocolate 




Comida series .
Ceramic made to look like heavy enamelware .
Lining colours in brown , red or blue .





Pink soup cup .
States stoneware so it should be hardier than it looks .
Paired it with a skin pink Minoyaki saucer.





Yummy .
The miniature condiment series .
Have a mini jug but it's not in the pic .
Did not get the rest as I think they are too large .






Los Angeles cat series has now hit our shores .
Got myself a 2nd set .






Owl series from Korea is here too !




Same goes for the Chicky series from Thailand ( no pic but I think I got almost all )
Get busy boys and girls .

Update # 10

Sendan Tokusa rice bowl and side plate .
Made in China .





Sapidum Splendidis .
Good gawd .
Who names a glass bottle Sapidum Splendidis ? They just did and although we all cracked up over the name choice , I still bought it .
2 sizes shown here . There is a smaller bottle ( not in pic ) meant for vinegars and oils .






Update # 11

Rainy Day saucer .
There is a corresponding cup but I'm still reluctant to get it . I finally got it 








Hello Polar Bear saucer .
Also has a corresponding cup which I am also reluctant to get  which I acquired also 








Pink doggie chopstick holder.
Many colours . For each colour there are 2 head positions 




Has to be a misprinting.
See this is why they sell stuff cheaper in Daiso . I think the rejected stocks are sent here .
Name of large soup mug is Vie Jyune .
When I googled it , there is a French company called Vie Juene which does party wares with this theme colour .
Available in 3 pastel colours. Pink , sky blue and bright yellow .




Yummy series .
Small chick shaped jar 




With this chopstick holder , my Korean owl collection is complete !
Just be careful as it chips easier than the L.A. cat series 



Update # 12

Yeah ok , I've been busy but you can still see me hovering around this department .
I've gotten the full set of Chicky crockery from the one with the white egg shell cover to the plates but I'm too lazy to go pull it out . 

Here we go

Tall Cappuccino stoneware mug and short Coffee stoneware mug .
Looks almost like those Mc Cafe mugs .



Kingdoes collection .
Full set .




Turquoise and white mini condiment jar with lock and wooden spoon .
( not interested in the rest of the massive range )




Made in China rice bowls .
Super colourful .
Rabbit motif bowl also available in light red tone . Not getting that .
Bottom floral designs are so much more outstanding than those made in Japan ones . Win !




More made in China rice bowls .
This time , 2 with Japanese designs and 1 red lattice design .
There is another shade for all these 3 designs but I like these most .






And my favourite of all is this Cat bowl .
Clear design with the dark blue pigment much darker and more defined than earlier batches before this .




Update # 13

Bistrot series cup and saucer set .
Sticker with the barcode describes it as an Embossed Bistro Mug / Plate ( 15.5 cm ) .
There could be a misspelling , hence the word Bistrot embossed instead of Bistro .
Doesn't matter ...I like it anyway .




A girl can never have too many cups .
Distressed vintage pink Double Espresso cuppa . 
Available in distressed vintage blue and distressed vintage green




Mason jar with pink screwtop lid 





Also check out this blogpost for pics of whole sets 

http://gostansikit.blogspot.com/2016/03/progess-of-my-crockery-hunt-so-far.html

Update # 14

Bento Picks .
I do have earlier designs . Just too lazy to go dig them out now .These are the latest . Saw the dolphin in Tokyo but it was sooooo expensive . Luckily I waited . 





Feeling generous .
Ok here it is .







Update # 15

Beech wood butter knife and jam spoon



The all time popular 
Petit Ange butter knife 



Glass egg holder



Update # 16

Distressed ceramic coasters with cork bottoms 





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful tableware would certainly excite the senses and thus enhance the taste of the food. There are times when food served at some restaurants aren't as good as it should be but because of the nice food presentation, we tend to overlook the shortcomings.

So, worry not! Even a sunny side up by you, served with those tableware, would taste great. And while you're at it, you may want to enhance the ambience of the dining area with some DIY lighting (as posted on my fb page).

Then add some background music and put on the anklet, you'll be all ready to reignite the spark with the other half while dining (and dancing). Even if the spark is always there, turn it into some wildfire, yah!

Now, where was I? ;)

gostansikit said...

Bonfire appetit lol .