Sunday 6 March 2016

Bells on the anklet


Was waiting for my food to arrive when the lady peddler tempts me with a whole rack of shiny trinkets .
Told me they were made in India and oh boy am I nuts about Indian costume jewellery ever since I bought some from a peddler on top of a hill in Mumbai years ago .


" 5 ringgit . 10 ringgit "
( some explosions are going off in my head but I try not to show my enthusiasm )
And then she shows me the silver ones .
" 20 ringgit "
I caved in . 





Rohingya lady : " Anklet . I have anklet also "
Muah :  ( Aaargghhh !!! )
 " Oooh ? Show me "

In one swift move she deftly pulls out a piece and moves towards my foot .

Rohingya lady : " Let's see if it fits "
Muah : " Noooo....noo...nooooo ! Stop...stop ! "

Wasn't being mean or anything but I was caught in a situation in Goa before where I was entrapped by the seller who refused to remove the offending piece of jewellery , whereby effectively leaving me with no way out but to seal the deal .
Yeah , I kinda developed a paranoia over any lady wanting to clasp a trinket on me after that incident .

Muah : " Please don't ....Get up. Get up . I'll take a look at it myself "

Don't know if she felt annoyed or insulted but by now ,the bargaining process was in motion .

Muah : " Where is the bell ? "
She yanked one out from another piece and looped it on like a magician .




Rohingya lady : " You can have it for 18 "
Muah : " 10 "
Rohingya : " 16 "
Muah : " 10 "
Rohingya lady : " Ok ok ....final price 15 "
I took out all the cash that was stuffed in my right pocket and showed it to her
" 12 . Ok ? "
She took it .




Happy as I was with the anklet , the bells did not resonate sweetly unless I danced around a bit .
Thus , just to elicit the sound , I spent the rest of the night dancing like a gypsy .

Whoever designed these bells with anklets must have been a man . Because they somehow know that we women love the tinkling so much , we would jiggle our everything to make it sound sweet while the men around get super entertained .




Except if you have sons .
One of them will be bound to tell you 
" Mum are you nuts ?  If you don't stop I will yank it out and throw it away "
Muah : " Don't you think this is a great way for me to exercise ? "

And if that still does not work , a stern 
" don't you dare " should cap the subject shut .

Location : Malaysia 

No comments: