Tuesday 12 July 2016

Farmers Street - Jaya 33



We stopped in our tracks after noticing the crowd of diners who were tucking in rather enthusiastically . 
( picture was taken close to closing time )
Besides , there was a dinner set offer , so yes , let 's go in .






As usual , I like to tuck myself away in this corner that feels like a bush maze in Disneyland . 
On the brick wall is a visually engaging arrangement of  wooden crates fitted with cutesy faux retro hurricane lamps , Chinese red flasks , rattan food covers and more aluminium tableware 





These lamps stir up some fond memories in me .
There was a time when I watched him gingerly place in kerosene before pumping it to light up a small part of the verandah .
There were fireflies each night . Sometimes I would catch some and put them in a jar to ignite that Peter Pan like state of magic in my little make belief world .





Today , this Alice and her Hatter are having peach tea by the bushes , under the auspices of flowing electricity . 
And it remains intimate until a birthday gang troops in right behind us .





We hear everything .
That they are of the Calvinism faith , that among them is a Myanmar lady and that they are making quiet inroads into the country with her help of course .
She's delighted with the pressies . I think he just wants to till her , as I try to not eavesdrop and instead , enjoy the exceptionally fragrant beans ( something I usually do not enjoy ) crowning the cendol ice and gula melaka syrup .
I find fault with the commercial coconut milk and just hope to god that other dishes will not disappoint .





And , from there onwards it didn't let us down .

However , it did make me wonder .... since when did folks in Sekinchan cook comfort food such as this ?
If you ask me of my honest opinion , I would insist that this is a crossroad between Eurasian and Nyonya cooking 





Water convulvulus made me slip into a dream like state . The shrimp paste is not too sharp , slightly bitter and languidly rich .
It envelopes the tongue with a constant aroma and a subdueing confluence of oil   .






Tenggiri tiga rasa .
Fried barracuda slices with 3 flavours .
Nowhere in the least is this Thai , it reminds me of Malaccan Portuguese grill .
So hot yet so darned good my saliva is curdling right now as I recollect the exciting flavours .
It is sweet yet tangy and sour , so very dramatic and hot it can breathe fire to lift up your spirits .
 Each time I bit into yet another sliver of lemongrass , or melt in the mouth cucumber cube that was as delicious as a slow cooked pickle , time came to a standstill .
I wanted to stop but I couldn't . The effect was like running a marathon while fully seated .





Cap that off with the chicken rendang and it felt as if I were doing some sit down triathlon challenge .
I was tearing down the dirt track , swimming furiously past the reeds and biting bitumen barefoot under the scorching sun .

Wooooh !
What a great meal ! I love this so much I wanted to get up , tear off my by now well hydrated innerwear and scream like Tarzan 





Yes , yes , yes ....if you ask me , I'll tell you to throw caution to the wind and order all their spicy dishes . 

Verdict : for people who like it hot 






Location : Petaling Jaya 

No comments: