Wednesday 2 November 2016

Flower crabs from Kuala Muda


Bought these flower crabs earlier today .
Cost me 42 ringgit .
The seller says they are from Kuala Muda in Kedah . Looks huge from this angle eh ? I'm taking the whole lot .



Doesn't matter , so long as they are fresh and harvested from local waters .
If you're wondering why they look so dull coloured , well there's a surprise .
While these Flower Crabs are also known as Blue Crabs , I'm not taking the blue coloured ones because those are males . These dull coloured ones are female .





I ask the man to chop it in half for me and walla ....take a look inside




The yellow - orangey mass you see are eggs ! Every single crab has eggs in them .
Yums !



Yes , I'm cooking today and I'm using these ingredients .
Ginger , curry leaves , screwpine leaves , garlic , onion .
Not in the picture are halba and sweet cummin spices .




Of course , I will need to pre coat the crusties in mixed curry powder .
Indian style recipe is the best way to bring out the sweetness of this species .
Will update later . Probably would have eaten it with no picture to show as evidence hah !
Bon appetit !

Update : polished clean . The eggs were so darned yummy , sorry no pics but I may have to buy more next round . They went so fast ! 




Location : Penang

No comments: