Friday 4 November 2016

Wild Boar Curry in my Chap Fun


Found a new chap fun economy rice place today . This wasn't your regular mediocre run down place . 
Everything was fresh , clean , the oil was of good quality and best of all , the taste was so darned good !

In spite of all the current price increases , this enormous plate below cost only RM 5.40 only !
My goodness .




Come ; lemme show you what's on my plate .

Start anti clockwise .

- pork patty 

- tofu 

- wild boar ( oh yeah , they're still being hunted today . In Penang estates . The wild boars are shot on a daily basis by hunters with rifle permits )

- bayam ( amaranth )  vegies

- steamed egg custard

- piled on top of boiled white rice




Really could not believe my ears when I heard the price . Yes, it is still possible to find a place as cheap as this in Penang .

Because of the addition of salt fish to alot of the dishes , when I was small , I was told that this kind of cooking belongs to a Hokkien subgroup known as " the bicycle shop owners" in the olden days . 
Beats me what subgroup they are exactly , but I do know that I am part Eng Choon Hokkien and part Hakka with a teeny weeny bit of native Iban spirited in .

Anyway , the Penang version of Wild Boar Curry is something you must try at least once in your life . 
Meat could be rough and a little dry , yet has been tenderised enough , spicy and delish , with absolutely no hairs on , so smooth you might think it is a cross between mutton and beef .
Best cooked in curry !

Location : best kept secret as the shop is serving the local community already at break neck speed and there is simply no room to accomodate busloads of outstation visitors .


No comments: