Monday 26 December 2016

Reinhard's - antique cafe on the west side of Berlin


As we were walking along the cobblestone path in Berlin's oldest quarter , I lost my concentration while trying to rush the heck out of the cold night wind ( I chose to leave my coat in the coach ) . Consequently tripped and gave out a loud squeal . 
I thought to myself " this is it , I'm done for " but luckily nothing untoward happened .





Prod my ankle with my other foot , checking for injuries or bleeding if any , whilst standing an arm's length away from the lit up pine trees that manage to bring festive sparkle to cheer up the left side of the entrance . 

Certainly looks spiffy from the outside ....




... but the instant you swing past the doors and find yourself in a time warp where
Jugendstil lamps , darkwood panelling , bordeaux leather upholstery , movie star pics from a golden era , were all the rage ... I felt so awash with happiness that lovely places like this still exist !

The last time I was in a cafe more impressive than this , was when a German girl dragged me in all the way from our hostel in Buenos Aires , past dark alleys just to have a cup of hot cocoa at the famous Café Tortoni .




If the roaring 20's were great for a reason , this is one of them .
Huge wide vintage and classy .




Love , love , love , love , love the place . Wander slowly to my seat with my mouth wide open .
Such a beautiful restaurant this is !




As I'm almost always the last to arrive , I get wedged over here .




Surprisingly there is no piped in music though it would have made the atmosphere more authentic .

Menu .
I've pre picked what I wanted , still we find this one every table .




Everyone else is having liquor . I go for the hot cocoa . Unlike Café Tortoni's , Reinhard's hot cocoa is sweet and liquid thin . Perfectly suits me so much , I end up having 3 cups of it .




Small market salad .
I liked the Beets , mushrooms , lettuce etc . He raved over the Tomato soup , I took a tiny sip and had to agree that he choose the better entree this time round .




Burgundy beef .
Damn yummy , cooked with a lot of care as the tendons melted in a bite and the meat pulled away very tenderly .
Able to recall how mouthwatering the sauce is , that just looking at the pictures makes me have to swallow my saliva at this juncture . Gosh !



Only the dessert did not sit well with me .
Vanilla cream was too light , rather air filled and bland while the berries at the bottom in contrast were too sour .




In the course of conversation someone noticed that all the hot cocoa cups had a hole at the bottom .
A crude joke was cracked , followed by loud guffaws after which we left warm and all the sweeter .




Thank you to the nice gentleman who took this picture for me . Flying kisses for you . Mwacks .
:D 



Location : Berlin 

No comments: