Tuesday 27 December 2016

Our room at the Sheraton Offenbach


I've never gone into Germany on my own . There was always a guide on hand to take us in and out .
 However , because I wanted enough rest plus wanted more time to slowly explore the Frankfurt Christmas market at our own pace , we would have to arrive a day earlier before the tour proper began .
That would mean that I would have to arrange my own transfer .
DIY so to speak which made me nervous since I don't speak German .




Having done some research , I knew that the hotel was annex to a real palace , the Busing Palais ...



...but the scenic river behind was something I discovered on my own ...


...plus nobody ever mentions the pretty adequate shopping district on the other end .


Tripadvisor pictures will show you this landscape mostly , and the reviewers will also tell you how there is nothing much to do here except for the fact that it is a banking district and that's about it .
SO NOT TRUE .

Cheaper than staying in the city centre of Frankfurt , not advisable to move around much after dark .
Can't say they are wrong about that as I got tailed by a few guys ( they switched watch ) in a couple of places at the shopping district .



My major concern was that we had to lug our suitcases during winter and somehow locate the hotel .


This is me on day 2 trying to cope with the biting cold .


Bottomline is we got here after a very confusing start at the airport .
We'd located the ticket machine , but because the info counter was closed at the time , and there were no clear cut directions , I had to juggle between common sense and guess work . There was a Travel Centre nearby where most foreign visitors were queueing up at . But that would mean that you will have to pay a service fee for instructions in English .
In the end , a nice Turkish man helped me get on the right platform . Phews !


According to Ulf , our Travel Director , Frankfurt is the most cosmopolitan city in Germany where 1 in 3 people you meet on the street is a foreigner .
The city is also awash with wealth pumped into the banks by Syrian refugees .



After a nerve wracking ride with my fingers crossed hoping I wouldn't screw things up , we alighted from the Marktplz , took a wrong turn up the escalator , backtracked , went past C&A before those nice guys manning the fruit stall gestured where Sheraton was , enduring the biting cold wind eating into my fingers ....YES !!!! Oh my gawds ...we made it through these doors .


Mr Lars checked us in with no fuss .
So friendly and so professional at the same time with no questions asked !
He's the best . Most people will remark that Sheraton staff here is always ready with a warm smile and I can vouch for that . It's true !


Anyway , the reviewers were also right that the rooms were oldish 


There's a tv with programmes in German lol

Desk


Conveniently placed charging points beside the bed


Now , what's that on the table eh ?


This . My SPG membership brought me an extra perk when they provided us with a bottle of Apollinaris ...said to be the Queen of table waters .


Safe worked . Ironing board provided .


Our room was on the ground floor so this is the view


There were lots of people walking up and down the streets during the day , but when it grew dark , I saw cops patrolling and less pedestrians . 
I think it is important to note that security to our rooms were tight as there was a door one had to swipe your keycard against to access . Very happy with that .


In contrast to the oldish rooms , the bathroom was beautiful 


Shiny and sparkling marbled touches , with hairdryer and magnifying mirror provided


Unlike the US Sheraton chain , somehow , the toilettries seemed to be of no help to my distressed tresses 


Never mind , so long as the hot water was boiling hot so I'd get to relax and unwind 


I'm perplexed . Wonder why these don't do their magic as usual .
Maybe I'm just stressed out .


Subsequently we get help from yet another wonderful staff at the reception ( they're all great ) and make our way towards the Christmas Market in Frankfurt .




Location : Offenbach , Germany

No comments: