Wednesday 4 January 2017

Kaufhaus des Westens ( Ka De We )


Pompous , extravagant and quite over the top . 
If there is one reason why you should take the next flight to Berlin , this is it . 
From the outside , it looks like any other fancy department store .




Gonna show you 5 window displays before I take you in .
These are all mechanical operated with toys that rotate , twirl or move up and down constantly , so German , so cuckoo clock .
And while it is new to me , and I find that it IS cute , my jaw still has not dropped yet .








When you step inside , there is a red carpet and as you climb upwards via the escalators and see the dedicated departments , hey , I'm still wondering what the big fuss is all about although at the back of my head , all I wanna do is go see the shoe floor .


By the time we arrive at the Gourmet Floor , the further I explore , the more I see , the more overwhelming it becomes until I actually do not want to take pictures because this is so freaking awesome - i've never seen anything like this not even in Ginza - i cannot believe my eyes - somebody pinch me 



When they say they sell everything , they mean they sell everything .
Every kind of fowl , sausage etc etc my head cannot compute it all in , my eyes want to explode and my forehead feels overheated !


Simply outrageous !!!
It's almost as if I stepped into a circus back in a glorious Prussian era , time wrapped in obscene wealth and overflowing with blatant riches !!!


Even the cake counter makes me gasp .



Food is served on the spot but most diners who choose to eat on the gourmet floor are immaculately dressed and so well groomed , if you have any imperfection even an ingrown toenail hidden from view , and although price for price both floors are evenly matched , THAT floor is so intimidating , most prefer to head to the top floor ( yet another gourmet dining area only slightly less  classy than a flight of escalators down ) where you can find these windows .


The mere experience of just walking through that downstairs floor brought me down to my knees . 

I thought I knew all about gourmet floors and deli counters until I came to Berlin .

But Ka De We , you've reset all that I've learnt and gleaned through all of my years of travel and showed me just how much more I have yet to see and taste .




Location : Ka De We , Berlin , Germany

No comments: