Tuesday 31 January 2017

Mak's Noodle - The Centrepoint


We take our wantan noodles very seriously and since we discovered Mak's Noodle in Hong Kong has been awarded a Michelin Star , yet we don't want to go that far , we're going to trying it out down south in sunny Singapore .




On any given day , from what I understand , it can be challenging to get a seat , but since it is the Chinese New Year and most of the people here have Malaysian ties , as you can see , the place is almost empty ( and not very easy to find either , phew !) which is great especially if you are travelling with companions who don't like a crowd . 



Used to move in and out of Hong Kong for a bit until our last jaunt , when I discovered that all my favourite beef brisket places had been replaced by new ones . Such a letdown that ! Still , I remember how most every chop shop that served this dish made me lick my lips . Thus , I always , always , aaaaaalways hoped to find another that could live up to that gold standard .
Yes , I'm really keeping my fingers crossed on this one .




However , I have to admit that I was rather shocked and appalled by the tiny rice bowl portion , which though equivalent to stalls in Georgetown , would nevertheless cost us a fortune seeing how our Malaysian currency paled to the Singapore dollar .

One bite soon put everything to the backburner .
The noodles are not only the finest I have ever bitten into , everything was perfect ! Perfect ! Perfect ! 
And because of that , we went overboard and ended up spending over MYR 200 ( more like in the region of 237 ringgit ) just on wantan mee !



Seeing how the portion barely filled our tum , we had to order another bowl .
Took the shitake mushroom one which I won't recommend to you as I feel that the mushrooms came straight out of the can .

He , one the other hand plunged right into the King Prawn tossed noodles with shrimp roe . Omg ! I stole some meat from him and almost died .
This is some darned serious good prawn here , so flavourful and fresh , bouncy and tight , here , will you take my money please !



If it were left up to me , I would have added tendon to this beef brisket side order . Again , due to my travel buddies preference , beef brisket it was .
No matter , seeing how it IS THAT GOOD .

Which made me wonder out loud , just how many times can one die and go to heaven while dining at a noodle shop ?
Three apparently 


Last extra side order .
Wantan dumplings with silky skirts that made me die and go to heaven for the 3rd time ! 

What a revelation , I have become a believer again with faith restored in  beefy goodness , wantan noodles and skirted dumplings which only the Gods of Cookery from Hong Kong can conjure !




Location : Singapore 

No comments: