Tuesday 10 January 2017

Nuremberg Christkindlesmarkt - tiny speciality Queen of bratwursts to King sized ones


Going through my pictures , I will probably have to recompile some of them together later . 
But for now , I'm still trying to get my bearings straight and am gathering them one by one .
( I already have a dedicated post for Schwensteak , my favourite , most fantastic German dish I ever ate in the whole wide world , so go look that up )

We tried soooo many delicious , strange and new items at all the 10 Christmas markets we went to and I ate everything as long as my tummy could fit it in , yet German food is so good for your metabolism , and organic too , I lost such a lot of weight during the time I was there , if you ever come here and don't eat , want to stick to a diet , aisey ....what is the point hah ?
German food is really good for you !




Coming to the Nuremberg bratwurst , these are a regional speciality , known as the Queen of bratwursts despite its size . You will be asked what sauce you want to go with that . Because it was via Rick Stein's travel programme in which I was influenced by his insistence that everyone should try German horseradish sauce and mustard , he was not wrong ! 

While I ended up looooovingggg the horseradish to death ( I can wallop a whole pot if given the chance ) , the locals are not convinced that you might like it . It tastes like a white spicy wasabe which is just right for me .

You see the young man with the black ear muffs up there ?
He decided to give me a little heads up and when I told him
" Don't worry , I eat EVERYTHING "
he threw his head back and laughed , it took me by surprise because some of them look so stern but they're actually very curious about us . Maybe we help unleash their sweet , shy , friendly side hahaha .
Anyway, that was kinda nice of him . I think he's cute by the way .
Cute .


Back to the speciality bratwurst .
You can ask for it to be wedged in a bun but I much preferred to try it with the sauerkraut .
You must know that some stalls will charge you a deposit for the plate , so the price you end up paying will be higher . But once you return the plate , you will get back your deposit money .

There are altogether 5 mini bratwursts ( I say mini because this is really small by their standards ) .
It's a cute novelty , but tasty as expected ( all German bratwursts are btw , I haven't found a horrid one yet )
In short , this is a must do while you are here .
Some visitors complained that this is all you get to eat in the Christmas Market in Nuremberg but that's not true , there are other offerings , you just have to look .




On the other end of the scale , were these . Yeah , look at what the man is holding up there .
Fränkische bratwurst . Husband of the queen . Not a new invention , these have been around since the 1300s .
It made a lot of people smile but we did not try it because I don't think we could have finished anyway .
These king sized ones can also be found in Erfurt which we also did not try out because we ended up buying 3 items from one stall there and that was it ! We were stuffed ! Leave that for another post . Coming up real soon . Just wait for it .

Must try : 1. those tiny Nuremberg bratwursts , with German horseradish sauce and sauerkraut and if you like 
2. that loooooong one would make a perfect conversation piece on your insta handle .

Also the area is reknowned for a gingerbread cookie , lemme go dig through my pics and see if I took any first

Location : Nuremberg

No comments: