Tuesday 19 September 2017

Seeking Permission to Perform - Mountain Sea Ying Yang Temple


This post is way overdue . Having problems posting it up partly because I'm not accustomed to these rituals and practices and as such I do not want to make any mistakes nor end up offending any person or deity .
So I guess the best way is for me to post up the pictures by sequence of events first before adding remarks to them where applicable . And when I finish slotting in my remarks , it's gonna come off as pretty idiotic in many instances below , which shows you the depth of understanding I have of the proceedings . Hope you can overlook that but I'm gonna push ahead and post it up anyway because I'm not going to pretend that I fully grasp the event or know which character role is being represented ok ? Bear with me please .

The first picture here is of the altar just outside the Mountain Sea Ying Yang Temple . Basically a Taoist temple , the Chinese opera troupe performers are seeking permission from the resident spirits and deities housed in this temple , in order to get the go ahead , to perform for the King of Hell housed in an adjacent shelter .
Yeah , you cannot just perform as and when you wish ok ?
Permission has to be sought first .





The temple you see below , is dedicated to the God of Hades and if you look at the what's depicted on the walls here , well , that's hell right there .
A huge effigy of the King of Hell is housed in front of an adjacent temple . A lot of Chinese people pray to him during this period for protection because the seventh month of the Chinese lunar calendar is known as the Hungry Ghost Festival , a time where the Gates of Hell are thrown open , so that even those condemned to hell , get a little vacation so to speak .




All the following pictures you'll be seeing , well , a lot of them are blur , but since I think it's important for me to chronicle it for others , since somehow or other , everything just went so well , too well ( it was very odd , I seemed to be at the right place at the right time , in a lot of instances ) for me on my maiden visit , I'm taking it as a sign for me to bring it to cyberspace for all to see .

So , here we go ....will post up pics first and try to put up remarks later .

Performers helping each other with  final touches on their costumes before entering the temple .



The costumed man below is a central figure in the ritual proceedings 


Some sporting performers pose for pictures to the delight of avid shutterbugs .


Ornately dressed lady makes her way to the front


Fan dancer has make up on so reminiscent of the 50s 


Ritual begins . It's complex and consists of several stages .







This is not any ordinary doll , so please try not touch anything while you are here . A lot of the performers props are in the plastic bags . 




This man for instance makes his second costume change while the fan dancers are moving about in graceful formations 



 Notice the placement of the foot when they step in .



Musician stops playing his instrument for a while .
Everybody knows their que , I did not see anyone coaching them on what to do next .



After the fan dancers , these performers wait their turn to do their thing again





While this long bearded man takes a breather before his services are needed once more ( bear in mind he plays 2 roles here ) ....


 ..... this young man also plays a double role and right now he's rushing to change costumes 


Everyone enters and exits the temple through this doorway only 


I didn't know how significant the plastic chair was yet till later



More and more performers make their exit 




Out of all of them , I like the ones in yellow and pink the most 



 Oh oh , he's noticed me and he looks annoyed .


 Nope . He was about to pose for my camera . Thanks very much mister !


Now that everybody is out of the way , the white bearded guys does another round of whatever it is that he does 


Younger man in his second costume .
Most likely represents the God of Prosperity from the looks of it .


Another round of waiting on the sides before their roles are needed




From hereon , I noticed the significant role of the plastic chair 


Chair goes in . 
Man drapes an embroidered cloth on it , then only does he step inside 



She , actually sat down on this chair which made me a bit worried since I'm obviously clueless on whether I should ever just sit on any stool ever again 


Before long , she's up ...


The central characters gather at the outside altar , as the Lim Jetty clan representative , that man in black places jossticks into the urn 


Performers get down on their knees and kneel once 


....this is what's directly in front of the open air altar , a Puppet performance .


The ritual has reached it's height after that


Culminating in a thank you , followed by a parade of a tiny child figurine by a temple assistant , from inside the temple towards the outdoor altar 



With permission granted , the performance begins at the shelter housing the King of Hell , located in front of the Sun Moon Temple


Altar offerings must be number specific . Offerings to the King of Hell , such as paper hats , are hung up 





One last look at the musician 


This altar is the first station for those intending to pray to the King of Hell for protection from wandering ghosts during this period 


His effigy is housed behind a temporary doorway 


Take note of the donated foodstuff piling up .
They will be auctioned off for fundraising purposes during open air dinners that are the norm during this festival 




As we make our way out , I'm glad to inform you that I've managed to shed my fear partially . It's good to know that the King of Hell has vigilant officers to police these beings while they are out and about amongst the living .



Location : Lim Jetty , Penang 

No comments: