Monday 12 March 2018

Fat Mum -where blue barley is all the rage



There's one member of my family who is will drink any blue liquid on the menu .
So weird , I thought , but hey , now that person is no more alone because , well , we've stumbled onto the Blue Barley club .
Hmmmm....still not my thing but since everyone seems to be having a glass in this restaurant , ok , I'll try it once .



Online reviewers were right . I'm so glad I took note of their warning that Fat Mum is not cheap , thus I proceeded to scale down our order to a minimum of 3 dishes ....which came to a total of around 70 - ish ringgit or so , which is considerably steeper than some places on the island , with a portion that is just enough to go around .



So what did we end up eating ?
 Started with this chicken chop thingy which the kitchen improvised on from the lemon chicken we'd requested for ( it was late , and they'd run out of the sauce )
Looked so hard yet the batter was surprisingly good , not chu cha style but more to a higher Chinese restaurant style , and the tangy sauce , despite the last minute adjustment , sat well on all of our tastebuds , so bravo on this one .

Actually before we entered the dining room , I could already smell the chicken being fried from outside the premises , thus , you can imagine that this was rather mouthwatering not to mention appetising as well .


Supposedly famous for their curry fish head , but due to my overcautiousness kicking in , we ordered fish meat rather than the head itself which will surely cost more .
It was wooooonderful . Every green ingredient is presented garden fresh with nary a wilt or drop of water in sight , the curry was thicker than what we get on the island and I dare say , more fragrant too !
Thumbs up !


Last dish .
The tofu I usually serve cold with soy sauce and deep fried onions but presented warm here .
Was nice but I'll try something else next time round .


Before ending , I'd like to mention that you shouldn't just limit yourself to those few reknowned restaurants on this long stretch of road .

There are new restaurants that have popped up , air conditioned mostly , with a set up similar to Fat Mum's .
Those new unlisted restaurants have managed to draw in a stream of patrons , so do go give them all a try . Fat Mum's my first venture here , may take some time before I try another place out , in the meantime , be adventurous , follow the crowd into these air conditioned restaurants , but do exercise some restraint when it comes to ordering before you get a nasty shock as the prices could be higher you know ? 

Location : off Jalan Raja Uda

No comments: