Wednesday 15 August 2018

Belly full of eggs - freshwater river prawns


Some enterprising fellow decided to set up a stall by the roadside .
There was a huge 1 Ringgit per prawn sign above and that was enough to coax me into checking it out .


The jovial stall helps , both barely past their teens , shot straight up when they spotted me gunning for them . Once I was within earshot , I asked them where the prawns originated from and was rather taken aback when the more vocal of the duo mentioned Terengganu . Now , that's some distance away from Penang man ....

 He pointed and explained the 3 piles of prawns to me . With the One Ringgit pile almost wiped out , perhaps it would be best for me to consider the 2 ringgit pile then ?

Yeah , ok , fair enough .
So I grabbed those with bellies full of eggs below and paid all of RM 16 for it . 




As I was in fingers deep , that rather talkative boy told me that he was feasting on these prawns daily !
" Kita hari - hari makan udang " ! 

My eyes opened wide at the revelation . Seeing that , he turned his body sideways to show me a tiny smokey makeshift barbecue pit , ingeniously put together with the help of a couple of bricks .

" Are the prawns in there ? " I asked incredulously seeing how it was at ground level .

He nodded .




Well , I didn't barbecue this bounty . I mean I would have liked to but that would take up too much time , so I ended charring them with butter and salt .

Was it good ?
These are farm bred . So what that means is that the meat ought to be flat . 
However , the eggs had fully absorbed the salt and butter , which made it seem as if I were scooping out caviar !

Should you try it then ? Why not ? The price is right PLUS , it's fairly simple to char on top of an oiled wok .


No comments: