Saturday 28 April 2012

Chip Fong calls it a day



Located along busy Jalan Penang, I stumbled upon them as they were in the midst of packing up.





I ask the mother, the most affable of the threesome of skeleton staff.

"Where are you relocating to ?"

"Nowhere, we are closing down for good "

"Say W-H-A-T ??? "

She offers a feeble nod of confirmation.

" I have been in business for 35 years "





This is really sad. Do the spiralling prices of shophouses in Georgetown have anything to do with this decision ?

Her daughter is not pleased with my proding. Butts into the conversation between her mom and me. Maybe she's upset. Can't really blame her right ?

But I am not deterred as I don't know when I am ever going to see another place with a spiral staircase and mosaic tiles as nostalgic as this anymore.
Never mind the mess and the cross looking girl. I snap away.





When I tried to snap a picture of their shop signage, the daughter stopped me in my tracks.
Thus, I have taken this picture off the net as I didn't want to upset her further, even though I could have sneakily taken one, from across the road.





How I would like to remember them .





No comments: