Monday 23 April 2012

Khun Thai, Permatang Tengah ( PF )


I've been wanting to come here for a long time but never found the time to do so.

Naturally I was delighted to discover that it was operating from this very cute looking, very long thai barn.






Being such a hot day, we decided to share a bottle of sugar cane. There's a label stuck on it and we were surprised to see that it came in all the way from Kedah.

Priced at an unexpected $12 for one litre, um, I think I might pass this and settle for warm water next time.

Not exactly fresh, smells like sugarcane fibres that have started to break down.





Thai seafood otak ($20) ......I can eat this with just plain rice alone, because the dry sauce, tastes and looks like the kerisik used in beef rendang,flavoured with daun gadok.

Packed with prawns (at least 8) ,fish meat ( goes perfectly with this) and sotong.Not too oily,not too watery,nor too rich. Very nice.

Two thumbs up for taste and value for money.Yummy.






Dissapointed with the Tomyam as I wanted the clear version, but they gave me this orangey red one.

Soup stock is too thick,too much tomyam paste inside, no good and can even taste canned tomato paste. Prawns and fish meat were fresh, thankfully.

See the small coals hidden inside the funnel ? While it helps keeps the tomyam on constant boil ,the sotong inside tends to overcook and grey ashes might fly out and land on your food. Very irritating.





Pineapple fried rice . I don't care how much it costs anymore.There's not enough salt.

So hard to enjoy, even though it was filled with plenty of pineapples,chopped luncheon meat,whole golden and black raisins also lots of cashewnuts. Wasted.





Steamed Lala with Lemon sauce made me swear under my breath.

The cabai tumbuk is scattered all over the sides of the plate. The lala was not properly cleaned, they even steamed it with mud. And worse of all, I don't think they used lemon, it tastes soooo sour like bottled cordial lime juice.






Such an awful meal experience. As such I'm not gonna post up other relevant details.

Total damage : $81

Verdict : cheap if you consider the amount of seafood they give. However,given the questionable hygiene, un-thai like taste and lousy presentation I'll only recommend the seafood otak.

No comments: