Wednesday 19 September 2012

Restoran Cheng Heong Bah Kut Teh ( NH )


It has been some years ever since my last visit. Don't know if  the same people are running this place or not. But it's raining miserably tonight in Air Itam and I didn't want to get my feet wet eating by the roadside




Awfully quiet in here. More like a neighbourhood restaurant in some small town.
As I recall, a husband and wife team used to run the place, they couldn't have grown THAT old overnight could they ?
Keeping my fingers crossed right now



Pissed off by the size of the bowl
Thought he under ordered
Was hundred percent sure there was not going to be enough to go around



But no I was wrong.
Somehow this little claypot bowl, held far more meatballs,samchan pork, ribs,shitake mushrooms,button mushrooms and fuchook sticks than I could tell.
Think they used more herbal tree bark in the soup
Quite pleasant,not bad
My sam chan pork belly wasn't exactly fresh but I enjoyed the fuchook immensely as it was tasty although a bit too bloated up.



On top of that, the young lad kept refilling our soup at no extra charge so many times, I was beginning to feel really embarassed for giving him the go ahead not once (like other places) but THREE times



Extra order of lettuce with meat floss comes with deep fried onions
Doesn't look appetising but it's quite nice and the vegetables are served warm rather than cold



Price : cheaper than a lot of places

Tip : If you like to eat yam rice with bah kut teh then I highly recommend this. The fragrance of the harmai is really intense in fact my partner rated is second best to one famous daytime yam rice stall in Chai Leng park. 

Location : Air Itam

Directions : turn left into Air Itam from Jalan Masjid Negeri head towards the direction of Penang Hill, pass an orange coloured petrol station, go straight till you see a Maybank with 2 petrol stations on both sides of the road, the shop is there just before the roundabout

Chowtime : best before 10.30pm


No comments: