Thursday 20 September 2012

Set lunch at Shinju Tei ( NH )


Atually wanted to try out another restaurant out but it was closed, so I walked round the block since I remembered that this shop has been around for quite a number of years already




It was 2.30pm and I got a little worried when I slid open the door.
 A lady in her fifties ( I think !) gave us a big welcoming smile together with a nod when I asked if they were still open


Bad lighting with decor that has seen better days made me deadset on limiting myself to the set lunch menu




What really scored points with me was the fact that they trusted customers enough to put this array of condiments on the table. Small gestures like these make a good first impression on me. 
Here was the largest array of quality oils, sauces, powders, chillies, toothpicks etc at our disposal





Cold green tea with a wink .
Not like other places, think it had a twist of lemon in it



Better than expected.
 The chicken was not too sweet... you even could taste the very fresh egg yolk used to coat it before frying.
The rice though not exactly fluffy was polished rice and not Malaysian or Thai rice like what a lot of other stupid places give us these days .
The miso soup was nice
Didn't like the dessert as it was plain. Salad was just raw shredded cabbages with a type of thousand island dressing.


My order.
Huge bowl of rice with little shreds of dried seaweed and some sauce.
Both filling and satisfying.
Coming to the tempura flour, it was a bit too hard and I found it hard to bite thus I had to throw most of it away to get to the nice tasty ingredients inside.



Fried breadcrumb mixed set below was much better than the tempura batter



Beef with onion set
They didn't try to mask the beefy flavour.
Nice



Cha Soba



Not my type as I don't enjoy cold noodles.
Miso soup is an add on as it didn't come with it.




Cawan mushi .
Very flavourful and Tau foo fa smooth



Fried garlic rice.
Smoking hot with just a hint of salt




Tips : parking nightmare in this area. Even if you park in front of their shop, you might find your car blocked in after finishing your meal. Best way is to park someplace further and walk here.

Location : Pulau Tikus

Directions : look for the Pulau Tikus Maybank on Cantonment Road it is diagonally across the street from that bank

No comments: