Thursday 17 January 2013

Riverine Mud Crabs


Was in Butterworth today, when a teenage boy in tattered clothes asks me if I want to buy one of these.
Hesitate for a while because I know what's inside.
Live crabs !
If you didn't know already, Malaysian mud crabs are the best in the world.
" Where did you get them from ? "
The river he said.
" How much ? "
RM $10 a bag. That's a heck of a lot crab for 10.
Sold.

 
The occupants played dead when I pointed my camera at them. 
The only thing that gave the game away was the occasional twitch from legs and slow eye movements.
Barely moved an inch, until....

 I pulled one out and there was a mad scramble
to get out of the way.
Don't worry about getting nipped by a nasty claw , as the seller would have tightly wound their pinchers together.


It frantically swung left and right ...


Before facing me at this angle
I swear it looked me straight in the eye


If you're wondering what I did next, the last time I slaughtered some was many, many years ago.
I didn't have the heart to cut them with a knife again.
To watch them winch in pain and agony proved too much for me. Couldn't bring myself to do it again. Besides, the kids were flashing me mortified looks. 

Into the deep freeze they went.

No comments: