Friday 3 May 2013

Set Lunch at Sushi Tei, Penang



Sushi Tei has everything going for it.
Exciting open sushi kitchen, classy looking interior accentuated by massive mirrors and panels, beautiful food, great lighting .
But my goodness, I sincerely hope someone from their Singaporean head office reads this review of mine, because their local ushers and local floor staff have got a huge attitude problem. They absolutely hate interacting with customers and are reluctant to help. 




Luckily I sat in the area where foreign staff were assigned to. Now, these foreigners, on the other hand, were sincerely welcoming and incredibly nice .




 
We ordered 2 weekday set lunch menus, which offers fantastic value for money. 
The entire set doesn't come at once though. Started with the arrival of the elegantly stacked Miso soup ( weak, sweet, one of the worst miso soups I've had in my life )




Saba and Sashimi Bento set. 
Gorgeous,  Amazing variety. Huge portion of fish , one panfried , the other raw..... very pleased with this !
Just that the rice was too dry for me but the big portion would please big eaters, no need for seconds . Cold potato salad, excellent. Topped with delightful fish roe. Good quality pickles too!

 



Sushi and Zaru Soba Bento set
Marvelously eyecatching, just look at the riot of colours ! Absolutely impossible to find a set at this price, looking this good, anywhere in Penang .  
Looks and value aside again, the
Soba was underchilled and the oil used to fry the fritter, stank of something rancid.



Chawanmushi only came a few minutes after we started on our sets . All good. Boiling hot !
  Chicken meat at the bottom should have been excluded that as it tasted downright weird .




Anyway, since I was over the moon about the texture of the Salmon sashimi, an ice boat was forthcoming .  
While the presentation is topnotch , I should have stuck to the Salmon and not gone for variety. The freshness of one ( pink arrow , see below ), out of the 3 perfectly filetted fish, was highly questionable.
Not only was it sourish, it also tasted fishy. Had to use the lemon on it. Never gonna order this again.



Total damage less than $100 for all that plus one cucumber maki and 2 green teas.
 Would I return ? It's a maybe.

Location : Gurney Plaza
 

1 comment:

Snuze said...

I adore salmon sashimi! I think I can eat a whole salmon prepared as sashimi all by my greedy self!