Thursday 19 September 2013

Hairspray the Broadway Musical - Plenary Hall, KL Convention Centre


When I first heard that this Tony Award winning musical was making its way to our shores, I certainly wasn't going to miss this for the world. Especially since I loved the 2007 movie starring Nikki Blonsky and John Travolta. More so because , I never made time for any West End production the couple of times I was in London. Don't even mention the bevy of cheap flights in conjunction with Merdeka and Malaysia Day.... there's just no excuse for me not to attend.




Then , a quick check with the ticketing site almost made me pass out. Even the early bird discounts didn't shave off that much savings.
What to do but try and win some. Mission accomplised as you can see here below.





 Early arrivals can either mingle about or check out the related merchandise at the door. Really liked this Tee .




A clanging of bells by smartly dressed ushers is the signal that showtime is about to start.




 For RM $ 390, you get the Green zone and this is roughly what the view will be like. Not that I'm complaining.



  
Meaning if you'd much prefer to see the cast , up this close, it's best to fork out more and choose from one of the 2 zones nearest to the stage .





 Or you might find it quite challenging trying to get secret snapshots of the scenes




Get a good compact and you might be surprised every now and then with the end results . I switched modes from landscape to intelligent and managed to come home with a few gems .
There are plenty of dramatic scenes in the musical which you might want to secretly ( well, not so secretly for me, since I have a public blog ) remember by.




Needless to say, moving dancers will prove to be a challenge. All boils down to right timing. 
Retro dance sets were a marvel to watch each time the curtains went up and revealed a new scene stealer .
Ditto the gorgeous costumes.



To my embarassment, I  found myself shedding tears of joy throughout the show. 
Compare that to a guy 2 seats away who kept bursting out in laughter at the slightest hint of the suggestive . Hwahwahwa.




My favourite character of all has got to be the Mom, Edna Turnblad played by Damian Williams . At one point,
s(he) sent the audience howling over " the kiss " she exchanged with her/his hubby. Hehe.
Other personal favourites of mine, the redhead dancer, Motormouth Maybelle and Seaweed.




An hour before the show, I actually bumped into 3 of the female cast at of all places, the washroom. Seeing where we were, I didn't bug them for pics.Highly inapproriate venue even if I did. Guess I'll just have to make do with the fabulous dummy ya ?




You still have time to catch the show. Ends this Sunday, 22nd September 2013

Website : www.ticketspeople.com  or www.yvents.com.my

No comments: