Sunday 8 December 2013

A Jolly Christmas session - Starhill Culinary Studio



We interrupt my entries on Istanbul, Turkey, about the Thanksgiving and Christmas, Turkey. 
Yeah, while I can cook Chinese , Turkey and Yule Logs are something that leave me utterly baffled. This bird down below, weighs a monstrous 7 kilos by the way.





So luckily, I got on the rollcall for a short lesson, at the Starhill Culinary Studio, where I was greeted most warmly, by Paula Conway, the Operations & Marketing Manager, who looks like the next Estee Lauder covergirl contender .



Very approachable, sunny, always smiling and really hands on, she personally handed each and everyone of the participants a goodie bag filled with all this. Apron, chef's hat, recipe sheets, etc. I feel so smart already even before I begin.



 Well, I've never attempted Turkey before, so where better to learn how to from professional chefs at Starhill right ?
No sweat man.Wanna impress your girlfriends ? your husband ? your colleagues ? Make sure you get the best teachers first.



Lesson number one : You take um, cayenne and um, season it. 
No just kidding, they don't speak like that. These chefs here are serious about what they do and it shows. And they divulge lots of cooking secrets and tips so you can brag about being their temporary apprentice.
All the ingredients they use, huh, it's all about quality you know ? Master Sifu, is the one with the dark spectacles by the way.



With Chef Leong's guidance, we not only learnt to massage the turkey, get under the skin and subject it to bondage, we also made cranberry and apple sauce from this....



...as well as a liver sauce to go with it. Great way to get your family to eat liver by the way.



 The Yule Log session was invaluable and great fun although some of us got a little stressed out in the beginning since, it's easier said than done




Requires nimble fingers. And he has got some magic going you know ? Fuh. Watched with my eyes wide open/
However, even though most of us panicked, the chefs, being professionals ( how many times have I repeated this line, still it has to be said ) have a way of encouraging and inspiring you that hey, you can do it ! And you're doing ok . They approve and they love it.



 Appetite worked up, we feasted on the Turkey and sauces with a side of vegies, ( with help from team Patrick and Wai Ling) at the cook station




Right, this is why we need to eat at Starhill. Presentation wise, huh, I still think big is better haha. Couldn't help it, I was hungry ! Pile it on !



Upon contemplating, I learnt that there is such an ingredient called Rose Pepper from here. It's from France by the way and you can only get it from good supermarkets.



  
Of course I couldn't leave, without taking a picture, with the incredibly pretty Paula to remember by.



And why is there no picture of the Yule Log with nice edible chocolate decorations I wish you could see ? Cos I took so many pictures, my camera gave up on me. 
Go ahead and sign up for a lesson here. You won't regret it.
Really great place for bonding especially if you come with a partner in crime

Location : Muse Floor, Starhill Gallery, KL


No comments: