Wednesday 21 May 2014

Beginning of the Penang durian season


The school holidays are coming right around the corner and if you don't know already, that signals the beginning of the Penang Durian Festival ( 1st June - 31st July ) .

So, if you haven't booked your tickets here yet, you better start doing so, because this week itself,the thorny balls have started rolling in.
Yup, the "head" of the season. Most times if you don't know where to buy them from, the quality will not be so good yet.

To date, I've already gone to that stall in Anson Road that costs a bomb. The seller tried to entice me with the elusive Black Thorn species which seems to be very much the rage these days. 
While I'm not too fussy, something about the stall just doesn't add up. Can't put my finger on it and wasn't entirely happy with my selection the other day.

Tonight , I dropped into my favourite, most dependable durian seller ( sorry, but I wanna keep this to myself ) and had the best fill of bittersweet creamy fine membrane and  flesh that sent me right up to heaven.

Look, you still have time to get here before the mad school holiday crowd wipes everything ( even durians brought in from other states to Penang to cope with the massive demand ) , yes, wipes every durian in sight out, from the 28th of May to the 15th of June 2014.
Now, is actually a good time to come before madness descends.

Updates :
----------

22nd May.. tried the stall just outside Gama...not good. 
Headed down to Cecil Street and found some fantastic D14 .
Omg

2nd June : same Cecil Street stall ... Terrible quality durians put up for sale now. What ? Yup, they either plucked it from the tree and chemically ripened them or it's turned into a big con job and they're now from other states 

2 comments:

Snuze said...

Aw ... bestnya! Please eat at least one whole fruit on my behalf. =D

gostansikit said...

Lolz can never do that. Best eaten shared ( I mean that's me) . On the other hand, I hope u submit an entry on my giveaway page. Itching to give something away