Saturday 16 August 2014

She did it again





It was 11pm and I wanted to buy some eggs just in case I needed a bite of some Maggi Assam Laksa later on. 

In my area, there is one grocer , open till the wee hours of the morning , who stocks wet market fresh eggs. As I'm very particular about the eggs that I cook being super fresh and free of chemical wash ( that means I wanna see the salmonella incubating spots on the shells ), I never purchase them from supermarts, hypermarts and chain convenience stores.

So I tell the lady grocer " 5 eggs please " because sometimes I like to go into a kedekut mode. Kedekut means being a skinflint by the way. It's embedded into my genes and occasionally rears its ugly head . Like in this case for instance.

Anyway , she  is the second lady grocer I have come across in my life , who is so fierce, her husband carefully brought the tray of eggs to her with a fearful look in his eyes. 
The other person, gave her hubby a black eye. 


Back to the tray of eggs , which now lay on the counter beside her. 
Me, facing her, she facing me. 

She proceeds to take out a glossy Pizza Hut 2 paged advert, the kind they slot in our morning papers whether we like it or not.
Already pre folded, so she tears the two pages in half.

Ok, I know what she's doing. She's gonna line the bottom of the plastic bag with the piece of paper . 
She folds that one page in half and I tell myself ....ok, she's gonna put that in . 

Wrong.
She unfolds it and cuts that into another half.

K....this is it. 
I'm going to get a quarter of the 2 page advert she got for free to line my plastic bag before she fills it with eggs .
Trust me, I just know it. Hold my breath....as she starts to fold that quarter in half ...what ? AGAIN ?????

My eyes are about to pop out at this point. I feel as if I am attending a paper tearing class of a psychological kind. Some form of ancient torture. Maybe this is what she does to her husband. Fold him like origami and tear bits of him apart at a time. Maybe she makes him sit in front of her as she tears sections of free brochures .

Maybe just maybe, but Omg, would you believe it ? The paper is free, zero cost but there she goes folding again. 
No, no, no. She cannot be tearing it once more . Impossible. She can't be that crazy.

Alas....I left the shop with the clutch of 5 miserable eggs and 1/8th of the 2 page brochure because yes . She did it again. She tore it in half again.











1 comment:

AyuArjuna BiGoshh said...

isk.....sangat sabarlah u...