Wednesday 8 October 2014

Sometimes it doesn't work


From a distance, I was sizing her up. The shop was a new outlet. New, young innocent, fresh staff.
All situations that are just ripe for the killing.
Pushing my quarter filled trolley up to the counter, ( easy does it don't rush ) 
she gave me a nonchalant look from the corner of her eye.
Half distracted, her head tilted upwards towards an entertainment screen in the hallway. Obviously, she sensed that I was up to something.
Damn.....element of surprise lost.
Still I wheeled up and parked myself in front of the counter.

Me : " Miss.....do you have any free gift for whatever it is that I purchased here ?"
She : looks into my trolley and shakes her head " No "
Me : " awwww....what about older promotion premiums, that people didn't claim " 
She : ( why this woman making my life difficult when I'm trying to watch the programme ? ) " No "
Me : "laaaaa.....really nothing at all ? "
She : gives me an exasperated look and fishes this full sized tube out ( see below ) from her desk
Me : grinning painfully I give her a half hearted " Thank you " with a giddy look that looked like confused constipation. Oh ....this one was used to people like me. 


I was expecting a cup, a bag, some plasticware of something cute and useless but what brand is this ? 
Parodontax.....a useful tube of toothpaste . Jeez.

Most freebies are supposed to be useless. Didn't she know that ?
You use the freebie , find fault with it, label it useless and shove it into storage. 

Where's the fun when it's actually full sized and truly useful ? 

Mission fail.
These are the sometimes that my persistent persuasion doesn't work

2 comments:

Tokyo in Pics said...

Never mind Goh, maybe you'll get something truly useless next time! Ah that story made laugh.

Well, the only thing I ever get for free in Japan is tissues. Useless, because I hardly ever cry, don't have hay fever and rarely get runny noses.

gostansikit said...

You know, now that you mention it, if not for the language barrier I would push my luck next time I go to Japan and purchase something. After all , if they know how to give away freebies when they set up companies in Malaysia and Thailand, I don't see how they cannot do the same in Japan. It would push the sales up.
Oh, and the laugh was complimentary too. :D