Thursday 8 January 2015

Google maps is not always right


Warning : long winded post

We love our smartphones so much that when we discovered that the hotel had no working wifi, we popped into Chinatown to get a tourist sim card. 
Thus for AUS 2 per day as opposed to AUS 25 per day at the hotel , we were able to access google maps so we didn't need to worry about getting lost.
When we finally reached the Opera House, the rainy weather was beginning to get under our skin. Quick nip into tourist shop selling these ghastly kangaroo paws, then out again to look for reasonably priced food to fill our tummy .





It started raining cats and dogs and that's how we ended up in Hungry Jack's for a meal


The rain let up soon after and we started to make our way 
back towards the hotel. This tree lay across from Hungry  Jack's


See ?


After a while we reached this other tree near Martin Place but I just didn't feel like going towards the Lindt Cafe as it just gave me the creeps.


 Continuing on, we eventually reached Westfields.
This nice display window lay opposite it.


Site for the most photographed Xmas tree made from Lego blocks


Found a vending machine selling these Havaianas and had a chuckle over it. But from here on it didn't get funny.
We somehow could not locate a Daiso which was on the map  
nor could we find our hotel !
Backtracking in a business district is not easy on the first day and while I'm not into maps , my partner was trying to figure it out ...my feet were killing me ! 


The only place on earth I have really, really panicked was in Barcelona , when a street carnival resulted in blocked roads . Although I've been here before, I was starting to get frustrated . Google maps was obviously wrong ! 
Obelisk check, backtrack, Hyde Park, zig zag zig zag ...omg 
 !!!! Falling back on good old 'feel' , landmark  recognition and common sense, we FINALLY  found the hotel, went straight into our rooms and just  collapsed ! No more relying on Google maps, where we stayed, it just did not make sense !

Advice : 
The city is really easy to navigate, I've done it before with a simple map and never once got lost. I've stayed near Surrey Hills and Kings Cross, no problem before ! Of course then, I was the sole navigator.  Get rid of the unreliable Google map and take what the hotel front desk  gives ya 

Location : Sydney

No comments: