Sunday 8 March 2015

Hawker stalls around Tesco Lotus Sukhumvit 50 ( On Nut )



Note : If you don't fancy getting picked up in a hawker centre nor having some frog meat in your bowl of tomyam, then you should really pick your dining options carefully when you come to Sukhumvit 50 after dark. 
Frogs are so popular in this locale , one vendor even offers deep fried baby frogs as a snack ! 

New to the area, I thought nothing of sitting down to a meal here. Yeah the one below. 2nd last stall from the corner.  They had a picture menu. I took that and merely pointed to what I fancied
" Gimme this one, this one and that one "
Easy. Then I took one look at the counter and almost fainted ! Huge butchered bullfrogs were placed beside all the other meats , seafoods and vegies .
Too late to back out , I pointed to the 3 rows of  beasts peeping out from the bed of vegies and told the girl
" No, no, no ! "

She merely laughed at me. 





Take a deep breath. 
Prawns with basil. Ok acceptable not exactly fantastic. Just acceptable. No complaints. 




Tomyam. Nice. Many, many, many ingredients inside.
Only later did my dining partners inform me that there could have been frog meat in it. 
Bleauuuucccckkkk !!!!! I take back what I just said.
Holeeee ....what the heck did I just eat back there ????




Charcoal grilled chicken. From the stall beside the bullfrog stall.  Extremely good. 
I think this is what the Malay people are trying to replicate with Ayam Percik. Don't like Ayam Percik but this one's got a full roasted flavour to it. So good we called for additional orders that amounted to half a bird. All in plus EST bottled drinks , an omelette and rice racked up to 500 baht. No idea if we got ripped off.





Anyway, this side where Tesco Lotus is , is quite safe. More local ladies and families eating here. Once you pass Tesco Lotus and see a large hawker centre with music playing on the opposite side of the road, there are more farangs and thai women in groups loading up on beer there. Would not recommend if you are a single lady to walk in there cos it looks like a serious  pick up joint . Wander in and the men start looking at you for signs. Stay away unless you don't mind. 

Location : Bangkok 

2 comments:

Ezna Khalili said...

Tomyam sangat sedap!!! :-)

gostansikit said...

Yup memang sedap. Tapi bila dah habis makan baru tau ada daging katak kat dlm sup