Monday 21 December 2015

A dollar store moment



I like trinkets and this reminds me of the watchman or nuns set of keys .
But there was no barcode attached and so I approached the first sales assistant that popped up on the aisle. 





This guy. Hum . Today is the 3rd time I am bumping into him in the store .
The first time I asked him for a product , he asked me where I was from based on my dialect and then later revealed that he was from Perlis . The 2nd time I bumped into him , I did not stop to chat with him .
Today , is my 3rd encounter and after recounting it to son number one , he can only think of 2 possibilities. Either he's very lonely or thinks I look like someone who can offer him a new job opportunity .

The long winded ( you have been warned ) conversation went like this : 

Muah : How much is this keychain ?

Him   : I can't tell you because there is no barcode

Muah : Can't you check ?

Him    : It's getting real late and I won't have time to go through the list one by one 

Muah : Well , I'll take it to the backroom and ask them to help me out . Ok ?

Him   : ( Shrugs )

Muah : ( walk all the way to the back and goes ....knock knock )

Banglas : ( no response )

Muah : ( knock knock knock )

Banglas : ( still no sound )

Muah : ( bang bang bang bang bang )

Banglas : ( _________ )

Muah : ( pry the sliding door open )

Muah : Er .....hellooooo....excuse me ?

Banglas : ( one finally looks up and heads my way )

Muah : How much is this ? There's no barcode whatsoever .

Bangla : ( takes it from me and heads back to the cashier )

Bangla : How much is this ?

Cashier : How would I know ? Chuck it down here .

Bangla : Hah ? 

Cashier : I said chuck it down here !

Bangla : ( shrugs , chucks it obediently and heads back to his soundproof environment )

Muah : ( I decide to confront the cashier at this point ) Eh...miss , can't you sell this to me ? 

Cashier : ( smiles at me ) No !

Muah : Really cannot meh ?

Cashier : There is no barcode . And it would take us a long time to search for it on the computer. So ...Nope .

Muah : ( not giving up . Went back to the shelf to see if there's a box and whaddaya know ? There is one )
Eh ...miss ....I think I may have found the box ? 

Cashier : ( really annoyed at this point. Starts banging the bell at least 30 times before He turns up )
Please check if the item corresponds with the picture listed on the computer .

Him : ( takes it from her and turns up together with the Bangla a few minutes later ) Miss ....miss...miss....where is she ah ?

Muah : ( bent down looking at something ) I'm over here ...here  ( geez is this sad and stupid or what ? )

Him &  Bangla : ( both break into a smile ) 

Muah : ( manage a weak ,sheepish,  half hearted , faint , cynical half smile )

Him : It's RM 5.50 ....you still want this ? ( he dangles the keychain like bait )

Muah : Of course I do ( @#$/^&*×÷=%_€¥ )

Him : ( walks over with the thing that I obviously want and hands it to me )
Er , didn't see the box . Sorry 'bout that . 

Muah : I found it down there . Right underneath , where the box is .

Him : You know ....I'm going to be resigning soon . Been working here for 6 months already .

Muah : ( Screeechhhhh !!!! WHAT ? Why on earth is he telling me this for ? What has this got to do with the missing barcode ? Do I look like an agony aunt ? What ? )
Oh ? Working conditions here too difficult for you ?

Him : No. It's really hard to land a job these days ( gives me a smirk  and walks off )

Muah : ( facepalm .....don't know what to make of it. What the hell is going on ? Pay and get out )

First 2 persons I tell this to , go into giggling fits and laugh their heads off at me. Why ? Oh there's another worse , more embarassing story to do with this chain store that cannot see the daylight . Don't wanna talk about it. Just that after that incident , and now this , I think the men working in this store are strange characters that truly baffle me , so to put it.

Son no.1 : there is no relevance whatsoever to what just happened 

Muah : I know . That's why I'm telling you in hope that you may know what the heck is going on 

Son no.1 : maybe he thinks that you look like a boss who can offer him a job. Anyway , he sounds like a really lonely person . His job must really suck for him to start pouring out his problems to you "

 Thank you son number one.

The end . I hope .





No comments: