Monday 4 July 2016

Makcik tinggal sorang





I'm at the supermart looking at some cheap baking glassware costing only RM 12.90 max to RM 6.90 minimum. Man , have the prices dropped and I am so tempted to pick up the whole range . In the past , these would have fetched a higher price but now , it's the buyers market . 

This old makcik in her 70s stops to look too . Her 40 something daughter is with her , in front of her , pushing an almost empty trolley , past the baking section . 

The old lady wonders aloud if she can use it for the microwave . Since the daughter is obviously not a kitchenware fan, I show the old lady the label 
" Semua boleh guna makcik , microwave , freezer , dishwasher , oven pun boleh "
She tells me she just needs a dish to warm up food . 

" Makcik tinggal sorang " 
( I live on my own )


The instant she says that , her daughter ends our banter . When she calls her away , the old lady looks fearful and quickly rushes away before repeating in an apologetic tone while repeating the same line to me
" makcik tinggal sorang " this time in a lower tone .

Sometimes ah , all little old ladies need is someone to talk to . Even if she is an old Amoi with dyed hair . Talk is free . No charge. But some do not want their old folks spilling all the family secrets , so they drag them away before more is revealed to a complete stranger .

Besides , a loy of these chatty old ladies  love cookware . Especially when they come with rose prints . RM 6.90 only and very cantik some more . That lady did not get it for her mom . It is not Pyrex but it is comparable and priced very cheap . Just cannot let it slip from your hands lah .
Butterfingers have to stick to Pyrex , you fling at the wall , then maybe it will pecah .

Maybe she could not afford it , I don't know her struggles , but don't pull an old person away when all they want to do is chat with another person . 
Hello ? Since they live alone you know ? And I also know it now .

In her eagerness to please and not annoy her daughter, she rushes to her side . I have seen this look before and although it annoys the heck out of me, I can't do anything for her but if you know any little old Malay lady in Seberang Prai who lives alone and has a microwave , please get her one baking glassware . She likes the smaller red rose one from Giant ( refer to the picture above ) , get it for her on my behalf and claim from me later .
Can ?


No comments: