Tuesday 13 September 2016

Kum Loong - a very old gem


Never seen anyone order Kaya Kok by the bags full before . Actually , I've seen people buying a lot , in that Raub kopitiam but that Raub cha pou  , cannot even compare nor come close to this outlet .
One lady before me , wanted 40 pieces of this and that , which made me wonder if she was going to eat this by herself or resell them elsewhere . 

And that's how I needed no persuasion to get 2 of each for our table which turned out to be quite scrumptious with surprising underlayers of crust enveloping the thick kaya and so much minced meat encased in the siew pau , it felt like I was dining in a more generous and extravagant miners era , rather the year 2016 .
See the glossy texture and flakes . You tell me if this is going to be keng or not .



Since we always end up in an eating joint at the oddest hours , where almost everything is wiped out and we are left with whatever crumbs are left , I hope you'll understand why most of the places we step into seem almost devoid of customers . 

However , if you sit here for just ten minutes or less , you'll see the stream of clientele it attracts as well as the crude drive through service provided .

Regulars will squeeze their ride into any available space in the shopfront or round the corner while those too lazy to do so would hand signal their orders from their cozy airconditioned vehicles as the workers obliged and delivered whatever fix was needed , change included .




This shop helper is probably younger than the bamboo steamers combined . Surely if the steamers could speak , there'd be some pretty colourful tales to impart. 
Even the walls have yellowed through all that vapour . Somehow reminded me of a bath house by the way lol .

Me , I'm really tempted to try the dimsum as most takeaway customers want that .

How to place your order. Simply walk up to whoever is handling the goodies here and point out what you want , sit back down and wait till they deliver it ....now let's eat .




Pink bowl contains pork ribs steamed in bean sauce , saucer is a dimsum .
It looks so wrong but it tastes so darned good , I lapped up all that oily sinful , well melted down sauce mass and worried about my waistline never hah !

Won't say the dimsum skin is good , it's too thick and wrong but again , the filling is so addictive ( I don't even know why ) that if no one was looking , I would have emptied the whole bottle of Sitiawan style garlic chilli sauce on top of it ! I'm not kidding . I would have done it . The spicy dimsum dip which you have to self squeeze out is downright yummy ....and I'm not a garlic chilli sauce fan mind you , but I absolutely luuuurrvvvveeee that red sauce !!!!



Crown jewel in my eyes has to be the Dai Pao , a large steamed bun filled with meats soaked in wine and a very creamy hard boiled portion of egg .
Colour of the meats are darker than what I am used to ( I was told that Penang dai pao used to look like this back in the old days , not the rubbish crap you find today )
Bread is so thick , aromatic and delicious , with no air pockets that even the walls won't collapse from being soaked by the sauces inside .

A must eat , don't you dare leave Taiping without ever trying their Dai Pao , a rare gem indeed  .




Location : Jalan Kota , Taiping , Malaysia 




No comments: