Wednesday 28 December 2016

10 German Christmas markets visited by me


Before I lose track of the main objective of my winter sojourn into Germany , it was specifically to go visit the famous Christmas markets .

I can now proudly claim that " I've done it " and knock the following off my bucket list .
This is a " me " post . So don't say I didn't warn you . Will cover each in depth later ( when I feel like it , if ever hah )

1. Frankfurt - first night I fell in love with schwenk steak . Can't believe I said that . 
Had a go on the 2 tier merry go round and slowly meandered through 4 connecting markets .
Try to spot spooky ole me .





2.  Offenbach Christmas Market .

Tiny in size but each stall is very ornate and so pretty .




Second night at the Frankfurt Christmas market .
This time since we got dropped off by the tour bus , I was clearly marked and this guy even brazenly felt my bottom back jean pocket for a wallet .

Be very alert and keep your belongings close . I did not encounter this problem on the first night although I went to 4 different markets scattered around the area .



3 . Rothenburg

Look at how I'm desperately trying to keep warm . The temperature was freezing , with a lot of wind . One lady in our group from North Carolina ran into the bathroom shivering . It was terribly cold here ! I really don't care if anyone thinks I'm wearing a rug so long as it helps keep me warmer .
If you scrutinise my expression I will look like I'm in pain . Wanna know just how cold it was ? Like walking into the Artic circle with your summer clothes . Brrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!! Very unexpected .
We discovered a lovely back alley where we warmed ourselves ( to the great amusement of the local folks ) with more schwenk steak . So yummy !



4. Nuremberg Christmas Market

Beautiful , just beautiful . Those angelic voices behind me lifted the atmosphere the entire time I was there . There's plenty of shopping to do here too and a lot of things to see .
Each time I went to the loo , was like a major take off your clothes exercise . 





5. Wartburg Christmas Market

As a sucker for super touristy recreations , I walked around with my jaw wide open ! Staff are dressed on olden days costumes .
Unbelievable but true. Super popular with local German tourists so much so that when yours truly went up there , they had to rub their eyes and put their jaws back on after 10 seconds ! Yep ! This was as interesting as I was arresting lol




6. Erfurt Christmas market .

I love this place too ! 
Everyone on the streets looks so stylish ,well dressed , beautiful , gorgeous and handsome ! Not kidding . 



7.Weimar Christmas Market

Man I love my furry vest . I love Weimar . I love the local folks . Love the skating rink . Love the fanfare . Wonderful , very vibrant little town !




8. Leipzig Christmas Market

Left my phone in the bus ! Lost a lot of precious time running back for it ! Think I really looked stupid in this but I soon rectified that in Berlin . As you can see , I'm not photogenic , somewhat like that super handsome Romanian bus driver of ours , all pics I took of him do not do him justice . Me , I think the more I'm stressed out the worse it translates into a photograph . Oh well  
Anyway , we had some nice deep fried shrimp thingy here plus there were lots of kid musicians on the streets so that was pretty cute . The sellers were also friendly , ditto for the customers who found me an odd curiousity ( and I cannot blame them at all since I dressed like I had just walked out of a snow spa ! ) 




9. Dresden Christmas Market

Dresden is a vibrant city with lots of different varieties one cannot get elsewhere . Each Christmas market has its own character and niche specialities so you got to see them all !
Think I look so 60's ugly kitsch with my hair tied up in a tight bun . 
Did that because I did not want to look like an easy target and it worked to a certain extent as compared to when I let my hair down and got hit on 3 times on the same stretch by some hamsap fellas .
We were here for 2 nights .





10 . Berlin Christmas Market

It was Siberian cold the first night we were at the Brandenburg Gate that I had to finally rely on the 80% lambswool zip on I bought from the now defunct Vroom & Dressman in Amsterdam . 
Only went to the Christmas market on the second night which was a little warmer .
The markets were closed for two days , so I really don't know if me being there while the stalls are closed counts or not .
But I can say that I was there saying a little prayer for those whose lives were tragically taken away .




Location : Germany 

No comments: