Friday 10 February 2017

Bag full of gems - visit to the Malaysian biscuit shop


No matter how many fine French  macaroons and Scottish shortbreads you may have had , if you are a Malaysian through and through , the sight of these rows of biscuits in glass jars or tins ought to make you light up brighter than an annual Christmas light up ceremony .




Still thinking of the kole full of gems we had at Curry Times by Old Chang Kee , we decided to drop by the neighbourhood store for a bagful of gems .
Yes , these biscuits below are called gems . We asked for 5 ringgit worth .



Really had to stop myself from getting these 2 other favourites of mine .
The fish shaped ones ( slightly salty ) ...



...as well as the jam baked biscuit ( these have no pattern but the ones I used to remember had pretty designs on them )



Do you ever wonder how much longer these biscuit shops will be around ?


After all , our shopkeepers aren't getting younger and the younger generation expects the rest of us to eat macaroons and scones as replacements .




There are still a few of these shops in Penang . I found this in Pulau Tikus , and I know there are 2 more , one in Jelutong , another in Air Itam .
Do support them and pass your love for these biscuits down to the little ones . It's such a treat and so special , but there might just be one day where it will all disappear .

Location : Penang 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yup! I love these traditional biscuit shops. It certainly brought back some fond childhood memories.

Btw, remember the Jacobsens truck tin that I bought at Giant some time back? New ones are now available that come in two colours, viz a white and a cream one. Priced at RM30.69 each. I've uploaded a temporary video of them just for you here: https://youtu.be/r8W15FLvRjE

I still prefer the blue one that I got three years ago though.

gostansikit said...

Awww that's really nice of you . Really appreciate it .
I think I have actually seen the blue tin in Cold Storage recently ( maybe 2 months back ) but because it was right in front of another biscuit truck tin that cost above MYR 120 or so , the blood drained from my face ,and I decided to flee before I started entertaining thoughts of parting with that ridiculous amount . Can't remember the brand name even but what I can say is that the Jacobsen is a steal .