Wednesday 15 February 2017

Very weird Valentine


* Warning. Long winded nonsense ahead . Read at your own risk .

We started off with a true intention to scale back on Valentine's celebration this year .
I mean , flowers have gotten so ridiculously expensive , the price of one hand bouquet could have gotten us a nice room by the beach in a 5 star establishment ( last year was um , more extravagant but really so wonderful but I want to change , I really want to ) . 

Still on course for not wanting to overdo things in the end , I settled for one bud . Yes , when you are married this long , YOU tell HIM what you want or be prepared to facepalm but ooo I like this big fat bloom of a stalk and he's so clever to select it . Good job hubs . Good job .
Although I told him not to wrap it , but he just needed to do it . So as I placed the whole pack on the dashboard , he told me to put it upright as there was.....WATER ??? There's water at the end of the stalk ??? What is there ? A mini vase at the bottom or what ? Does cotton not absorb water anymore ? What ? There's no cotton even ? 
( what kind of florist puts so much water at the end of a packet of rose that a slight tilt makes it seem as if you are about to perform a magic trick or something since most of it has gone south ? )
He then takes it from me and puts the flower next to him ( hello ? ) 
When he's not looking , I take it back and put it right where it belongs ( next to me )

Yes . Weird #1 .



We end up at a basement teppan which also sells portuguese baked aluminium foil wrapped spicy seafood . Was a unanimous choice of ours , but I still think that a teppan outlet selling this dish makes it Weird # 2 .

 Call for 2 skate fish parcels ( one each ) . It's darned yummy even though it is dished out by bangla cooks  . I'd like to categorise that as weird but this is so common now that I can't .
Also noticed that we were surrounded by a bobble of blondes and dyed hairs. Everyone who ate here was either Angmoh or Ahbeng Ahlian lol . Weird # 3




Later , we proceeded to Chili's .
Where I got this really Weird #4 shot .
Looks so LGBT huh ?
See those 2 fellas sticking out of the cup ? That man in the mango actually has a girl next to him but if I didn't tell you , one of you might turn this into a festival poster .
Wow . Don't blame me for nothing then . Warned ya .

Anyway , at some point , I had to go . It was peak period as I passed by the lounge area of the adjoining hotel .
Did not take a picture but by the looks of all those people in the lobby , today was Singles day . As everyone was dressed up to the nines . Just that there was not one table with a couple .
As this concept of celebrating singlehood IS new to me , ( they could have been all trying to hook up via Tinder for all I know ) I'll call it Weird # 5 .



Remember , the keyword I am trying to implement here is control .
But ah , we thought we did but the portion either somehow grew larger or our stomachs couldn't stuff in anymore . Why ? What happened ? Why can't we finish ? Which brings us to weird # 6



And it turns out we were dining next to an acquaintance from the neighbourhood who was seated on the next table . Right next to us !
In Penang , this situation could be rather awkward . 
Weeeee-ird # 7. Reaaaally weee-ird !
You at first acknowledge them , but then try to ignore them as they sneak peeks at the whole load that goes onto your table ( oh you gluttons you ! )




Think that's the end of it ? No , 
I had to go make a police report ( on Valentine's Day for crying out loud ) ...



....out of concern for one teenage Malay boy cyclist ( I think everyone thinks he's a little bit off in the head ) as I witnessed someone in a car trying to crash / hurt him while he was stationery at a traffic light .
Those of you who stay around here , ought to know who he is and we're all  more careful when he's on the road .
But because that mad driver ( picture of car below ) looked like he really wanted to hurt him , I semi ended my day by making a report at the local Balai because I take it as my responsibility to do so .
Weird # 8 Valentine's Day huh ?
Yeah that's the psycho car that tried to knock into the kid .

The Tuan there , told me that they had actually paid the boy's family a visit ( due to many citizens complaining about his antics on the road where he sometimes rushes against the traffic on his bicycle ) but sadly , his mom doesn't care a damn about what happens to him . Now that is sad ! Please do watch out for him guys , he really does not know what he is doing . Nobody cares for him , so please watch out for him , when he is actively plying this route on his bicycle at night .



And this is how I really ended my day .
Staring at the price tag for a balloon .
Since when did balloons get this expensive ? 20 ringgit for a packet ? 30 ringgit ? Almost passed out . And why exactly did I need those balloons ? As a surprise for a loved one . 
Guess that makes it weird #9 .

While this day goes down as one of the weirdest Valentine's day ever , I always thought I was a little bit of a weird little delight to love and give love back to those who love me in return , with all of their hearts . You know I'm worth it :)

Location : Penang 



No comments: