Tuesday 31 October 2017

Somkid - Prima Tanjung


My countless sojourns into Bangkok since I turned 30 , have shaped who I am today . I have to admit , that I am both impressed by the standards of beauty and influenced to a certain degree by the exposure . And having Chinese blood running through my veins , a good number of us believe that we are what we eat .
In a way that translates to the inexplicable success of Korean and Japanese establishments in the region .
I do both occasionally , but I am more a fan of Thai cuisine than those 2 above and after almost 20 years , to a certain extent , that laywoman's belief could almost be true .

On a domestic flight to NYC , the gorgeous feline , an Anggun lookalike seated next to me , started talking to me in Thai , and when I came into this shoplot , one of the waitresses assumed I was Thai . Of course I quickly replied back in English , so they know that I am not .
This is so funny because when I am in Thailand , the Thais there either think I am one of them , some of them will even mistake me for a Japanese or Korean !




Getting back on track , I am so glad to inform to you , that today , there is yet another authentic street food operator on the island . Open since August , if they continue cooking fantastic comfort food such as this , I really don't need to travel to Bangkok for my fix . Nope , Hatyai food is just not my thing .



I'll leave you to discover the menu for yourself , just so you know that I've gone gaga over their rice dishes with a lot of gravy . See , I usually don't take so much rice , and that portion in the first pic above is enormous for me , but because the sauce was sooooooo darned good , I polished it flat out ! 
Pineapple fried rice was yummy too. Just too bad the pineapples weren't as sweet , bit on the sour side .


At first I thought that MYR 22 for a small portion of Clear Tomyam was a bit too much , until I dug out the prawns and damn , they were tasty medium sized ones that kind of justified the price .
My advice to you is to let the tomyam cook for a bit before you tuck in , to allow the flavours to seep in as this is done from scratch .

Yes , the funny thing is that while we here go nuts over Japanese food , there was a table of 4 Japanese ladies lunching beside me , obviously enjoying themselves .

As for the Koreans , I heard they're not really into Thai food but absolutely loooooooveeee stir fried Chinese style kangkong , also most chu cha dishes , our Malay nasi lemak especially the sambal , so you might want to change your perception a bit there if you think our local food is not up to par ok ?

Happy discovering . Won't write too mucn on the no frills place , but so far , it makes me feel as if I'm right smack in Bangkok , enjoying a great hawker meal !

Location : Prima Tanjung , Fettes Park .

No comments: