Saturday 2 December 2017

The Japanese horse mackerel is a poor sub for kembung


Can't find our local kembung ( Indian Mackerel ) fish anywhere , even if I do manage to find a batch , they look like they're rotting away ugh , but I was adamant on making ikan assam pedas nanas and ikan berlada sambal terung pipit ,  so I ended up with these  Japanese Horse Mackerels distinguishable from the black marking just behind the gill flap .
Meat is definitely firmer and the belly area holds up a heck of a lot more longer than kembung would . While there's also less bones , and it does taste like kembung to a certain extent , there is something lacking in the taste which I cannot put my finger on . On an afterthought , it's like having a croissant with no butter or Hokkien mee with no prawns , so to speak .



Anyhow , 9 of these fishes , cost 24 ringgit . Went to 2 markets and they were both priced at give and take 10 ringgit for 500 g which is so outrageous , some local aunties would rather take ikan sardin as a substitute which is pretty sad , seeing how some used to consider sardines as cat food .

Well , if I sound like I'm complaining , of course I am . However , I do recall when I had just one of this in a Japanese restaurant and was charged  20 ringgit for that ONE single piece which I thought was a rip off then and when I look back hey it is still such a rip off since I thought I was really having a very overpriced ikan kembung at that moment .

Long story short , the Jap cooks well but it does not taste as good as the kembung would , doesn't matter if you simmered or deep fried it , it will only look good for the camera and on the plate , but won't score high marks for taste and texture . If I could turn back the clock , I'd take a tinier , less fresh kembung or Ikan Selar ( Scad ) over this Japanese Horse Mackerel any given day .

Location : Penang 

No comments: