Saturday 5 May 2018

If smell alone could kill .....



Yeah this dish would do it for me .
It could kill a lot of Chinese people too along the way , because while it smells so darned good , you really need to wait for the fatty bit to completely soften before you can serve it .


You see , yesterday , I got a whiff of this dish during class and as a result of that , I couldn't really concentrate cos I was getting hungrier by the minute . Just wanted to die . 

If you also notice , I hardly eat pork outside because I'm extremely particular about the fat part being fresh . Pork that is less fresh has a horribly rancid taste to the fatty area which makes me wanna puke , hence , I hardly take my chances except when it comes to Bah Kut Teh or that steamed belly pork with yam dish which I do not know how to cook .

Now because of my being that fussy , I need to cook it myself and right now , I'm about to crumble a second time cos it's still stewing away in the pot and my whole house is filled with the aroma !

Some people on the net, swear that it is a cholesterol buster . That's only because the black fungus is somehow supposed to be good for clearing  arteries . However , when you add fatty three layer pork belly together with it , even though the fat will be broken down through slow stewing , who are you kidding if you really believe that it can bring down your C level . For that to happen , pork fat needs to be eliminated , but we all know how bland this fungus will be without that essential ingredient right ?
As a matter of fact , I think this could be one of the reasons why some Chinese people look like they have elephantitis on their arms and thighs ! 
Cholesterol adder more like it . Butt , tummy , jiggly arm expander . Yep .

As it is , at the moment of writing ,I'm still waiting for it to soften , in the meantime , my stomach is growling furiously away and frankly , I just feel like fainting lol .
Best served with a portion of steaming white rice !

I can't give you the recipe as I intend to hand it down to my boys as a legacy but I can tell you what's inside .
Very basic .
Triple layer pork belly , garlic cloves , black fungus , soy sauce , salt , water . That's it . Nothing fancy like what you see on the internet . No added spices even .


No comments: