Sunday 11 November 2012

Fried chinese pastry van outside Lye Lye ( NH )


Didn't take much notice of this white mobile van on the left hand side of the building, until today.



Because, I had initially come to this kopitiam for some loh bak .
Don't know what happened, only the tofu and century egg was edible this time around.
It was good last time but now beh chiak already.
The fishball was sour, the small popiah like getah.
Why oh why ?



Frustrated  I turned my attention to what He was munching on.
 Took one bite of these 3 fantastic snacks.
One is a fried sui kau with more fishpaste and pork mince combo than I have ever had elsewhere. Delicious ! Bursting with delightful, tiny pieces of carrot and celery ! Love it !
The other a deep fried long bean pancake that I am definitely going to gian for , after today.
The last one ( the very white thing you see in the picture) I did not have a chance to bite into, because He quickly walloped the last piece.
Where did he buy them from ? Show me or else.....



Out we went to look for the mobile van.
Found that this is the owner, the creator of these very tasty and very addictive fried pastries.
Seriously the best* I have had in a long time, as all the dimsum places nowadays, seem to serve us such terrible stuff but this fellow, I want to kowtow to.
Look at his scissors. Reminiscent of some pretty darn successful kueh stalls found inside Hakka enclaves.
*A word of warning though, the crust is thicker and tougher than those churned out by dimsum chefs. Don't say I didn't warn you but this snack is from the home made category (which was so much better than what was sold at the loh bak stall inside)



 All these goodies are hand made and fried on the spot in limited batches.
Thus, if you finish what you just bought earlier and come back for more, you might have to wait some time for the next round .
What you see in the front is tofu, but as I've already had my fill from the loh bak stall earlier, I will discover this another day.



My favourite...the deep fried long bean pancake that tastes like flavoured cucur.
There was sui kau too... 2 pieces which went straight to my stomach.
Can't photograph everthing all the time especially when I'm lusting after it.



Thank you for bringing back quality, 4 o'clock teatime treats I used to know with a creative twist .
He has just earned a life long customer in me.


Location : Air Itam

Directions : head towards Penang Hill, you will come to a roundabout. Continue straight at 12 o'clock, the van is parked outside the second coffeeshop


Chowtime : according to the owner he comes around 12.30 noon to around 1.30 pm . If you still don't see him after 1.30pm means he won't be coming for the day. Open till around 7pm



No comments: