Saturday 29 June 2013

(NH) Sumida Japanese restaurant - Set Lunch



If you haven't noticed already, I'm making a slow and steady transition in my diet, since the beginning of this year. Japanese cuisine, seems to be becoming, part and parcel of my life now. Late bloomer , I know, I know ....
Somehow when we travel, it changes our outlook and influences our decisions. While it wasn't my trips to Japan that changed me, rather, Bangkok plays a starring role in this, especially after I saw the explosion of Japanese joints all over the city being wholeheartedly embraced by the Thais themselves .




Coming back to Sumida, it's been around for some time already. The fact that I wanted to try another new place, brought me here. Rumour has it that the place was originally helmed by a Japanese owner but not anymore.





Hence, you get some items that may look decidedly local but with a definitive Japanese taste to it.
Like this side dish of bittergourd with scrambled egg dish, for instance.




On the other hand, this Nappa cabbage condiment, looks too cute to eat. True to an extent, the flavours are too minimal to relish, not pickled in the least and very plain




Koochi moochi's Soba with Sushi platter set.
The oranges that were meants as desserts for both of us, got piled into this one tray real early .




Sushi board.
Deep fried tofu skin filled with rice and topped with diced tofu, pickled roll. Nothing like what I saw on the menu, yet interesting, nevertheless.




My tempura rice set , came with a hearty, tasty, bowl of miso soup
( the soba set did not include it ).
The tempura prawn is huge and meaty. Enjoyed it. Tempura vegies done nicely.




Cawan mushi with what looks like sharkfins on top,gingko at the bottom .
Not in the soba set either. 
Texture more towards tau foo far. Quiet enjoyed this. Tasty and yummy.




Overall, the prices are pretty reasonable and the portions filling. So yeah, I'll consider coming here again even though some of the dishes hover on the average.


Location : Prima Tanjung, opposite Island Plaza.

Directions : From Kelawei Road, Gurney Plaza on your right, go straight. Look out for a Burger King on your right, keep left. Turn left at the traffic light junction. The shop is on the left, between a 7 eleven and BSN bank.

No comments: