Tuesday 3 December 2013

Fish sandwich with Turkish tea on the banks of Karakoy



These are the famous floating golden fish sandwich boats , found in Eminonu. But I wanna try what the locals are having so I'm going across the Galata Bridge over to Karakoy.





Short walk later, I come face to face with a small wet market. Check out the variety of fishes on display.



Most tourists, won't wander out this far away from the market, but I do. And I see lots of old folks sipping Cay , that's Turkish tea here under the shade of the trees.




Ok, this is it. Have chosen my spot. Walking over to place my order.



And my first cup of Cay comes with 2 sugar cubes.
The tea is grown on the fringes off the Black Sea and it's got a reddish tinge to it. Very fragrant and relaxing. The way, they drink it here , you'd think this was another national pastime.



Upon finishing, place your spoon like this on top and the waiter will come clear your table. Yeah, that's a signal. No need to call him over or wave your hand like crazy .
They know.....

Finally our sandwiches arrive.


He's having the fish. As usual I'm gonna pinch from him.
And.....um, the fish, well, tastes like freshwater fish with just a little bit of earthy smell on it, hence you will probably need the lemon wedge to do some magic . There's a mix of salads and herbs to go with it. All fresh,cool,pleasant and crunchy.



I'm having the meat . Um. well, oklah for a first try.
But the tomato is something else, it's grilled and juicy. Omg, they're really good with vegies.



Which brings us to this. The only danger I encountered in Karakoy, a cat with psychic powers to make me hand over part of my meal...will you look at him stare ? He's almost squinting " Hand it over sistah " kahkahkah



 Location : Karakoy fishmarket

No comments: