Sunday 19 October 2014

Roasted duck rice - Goh Chew Cafe


A roasted duck meal like this would cost a bomb in Beijing or Hong Kong, ah, but not in Malaysia. Simple, filling and very delicious , this roadside stall is where I get my fix every now and then.
This coffeeshop is not my favourite place in the world, so most times if I don't do a takeaway I will request for my meal to be sent across the street to another premise.



First up. 
Leg of duck.  
Notice that I have specifically told the chef not to chop it up, as I have been honed from a tender age, to enjoy this barbarian style. Hold the bone between two fingers and pull away with my teeth. The taukehsoh stared at me but I couldn't care less.  Underneath the skin, is a layer of fat, just towards the thigh bone. If you know how to savour that, you'll agree that it's the best part of the duck. 


This here is the boneless breast meat. 
Leave the bone in ,  as it's much tastier that way.
There's no bone on this plate as the person I'm dining with prefers not to wrestle the meat out with his fork.
Drat.


Lastly....we come to the hot , sour and spicy Chai Boey soup , a rich broth made from leftover roast parts, mustard greens, dried chillies, tamarind slices etc .
In the northern region, this is considered the main soup dish. 
Perfect for a rainy day.


Total damage : less than RM32

Location : New Lane, Georgetown, Penang

2 comments:

Tokyo in Pics said...

Goh, what does taukesoh mean? And you can order your food in one restaurant and get it sent elsewhere? Is that like a regular delivery style?

But that duck looks really great. One day I'll be on that plane to Malaysia for sure!!

gostansikit said...

Taukesoh means Lady boss. That's a hokkien term. Yes you can get food delivered to another premise but it depends on shop proprietor. That's good to hear :)